Talk

Advanced search

DD won't drink milk from anything except a bottle, any tips?

(3 Posts)
bran Wed 04-Nov-09 21:32:19

DD is 21 months and until 3 weeks ago she was drinking approx 7 oz of milk from a bottle morning and evening. She was chewing through the teats of her bottles so we thought now is as good a time as any to change her over. It's been 3 weeks since we stopped the bottles and she has been refusing milk ever since.

We've tried every type of sippy cup, and open cups. When we ask her in the evening if she wants milk she says "yes". She likes to sit in front of ITNG with the cup of milk, like she used to with her bottle, but she won't drink from it.

She is a bit funny about cups, she won't drink juice from her sippy cup. She likes juice occasionally but only from a carton with a straw or from a proper glass. She has now started to refuse to drink water from the sippy cups that she was most frequently offered the milk in, which is annoying but not too bad as we have a range of cups.

Thanks

whomovedmychocolatecookie Wed 04-Nov-09 21:36:46

Have you tried the sort of sippy cup with a straw rather than a spout? We have a few - the supermarkets normally have a range. Or a plastic beaker which is clear acrylic so it looks like a normal glass?

She sounds like she's trying to assert her independence and authority wink. Personally I'd cut a whole in her teats so it became no fun to drink from them - but I'm a cruel and unusual mother wink. Mind you that will work.

Would she buy the 'we are going to have to send these bottles away for the babies, let's go and buy you a new special cup and you can choose it' line?

bran Wed 04-Nov-09 21:47:19

A cup with a straw might work, thanks. I'll take her to the supermarket and let her choose one and tell her it's for milk. I'm not sure her vocabulary is up to sending bottles away for other babies, anyway the bottles have gone already as the teats had holes in where she had chewed through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now