Talk

Advanced search

I really want to help my sister

(7 Posts)
Chica31 Wed 04-Nov-09 19:18:34

I have a 24 week old DD who is only BF. My sister is now 12 weeks pregnant and is already worrying about BFing. My sister and her DH stayed with us for a week a month ago and she was really uncomfortable every time I BFed. Once she said, I don't think my DH wants to see your nipples. He wasn't bothered at all, it was her own discomfort.

She has now confided in me that she has a really bad body image and didn't even like being measured for a bra the other day in John Lewis.

What can I do to help her? I love BFing and want her to be as confident with it as I have been. We are staying with them over Christmas. What can I say to help her?

thisisyesterday Wed 04-Nov-09 19:30:24

i wouldn't necessarily say anyhting. just nurse your baby as you would normally and show her just how normal, comfortable and easy it is

if she asks then I think I would say soemthing along the lines of:
does she know all the health benefits, to herself as well as baby?
does she want to try it? cos the reality is ofrten very different to how you think it will be
her baby doesn't care what her body looks like, and she certainly doesn't have to show it to anyone else if she doesn't want to- you can't compare it to havign a bra fitted. if you breastfeed you can do it without anyone seeing anything

just be there with answers if she asks, but don't push it.I think the single most important thing that breastfeeding mums can do to support other women is to breastfeed in public and help our society to see that thsi IS the normal way to feed a baby

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 04-Nov-09 19:35:25

Message withdrawn

Longtalljosie Wed 04-Nov-09 20:01:44

Wait for her to get later on in her pregnancy. The hormones do their thing and things like that which used to bother you cease to do so! If they don't (and if her body image is that bad perhaps they won't) then address the situation then...

Chica31 Wed 04-Nov-09 21:28:26

thanks I will try to keep my mouth shut. She of course knows all the health benefits.

Her body image is really low and I have no idea why. I'm a size 18 at the moment. We are both 6ft tall and she is only a 10 or 12! she has never had any eating disorders or anything like that. But i have noticed since we were teenages in the same house she would always cover up even though Dad was out working alot and it was only girls together. Over the years it seems to have got worse.

nickelbang Thu 05-Nov-09 17:10:26

chica, she sounds just like my little sister: she used to be covered up all the time and changed in the bathroom (we shared a room), and she used to be mortified if i was ever naked in her presence (obv in the room!).

dn't knwo where she got it from, maybe from the fact that mum was always very open about nakedness at home.

my little sis never breast fed, and i think it was body image too (but she didn't have an elder sister to show her how normal it was)
maybe you could try feeding under a wrap or something that makes it really discreet so that she can see she won't be showing off her body to all and sundry when she feeds.

Chica31 Thu 05-Nov-09 19:08:59

Thanks nickelbang I think that is a great idea. Our little sisters sound just the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now