Talk

Advanced search

blisters on nipples...

(6 Posts)
catastrojb Wed 04-Nov-09 16:57:30

Hi - this is my first post on here, but I wondered if anyone can help. I am afraid this is a bit long and negative....blush

My dd is 7 1/2 months old and has been ex bf until 6 months when we started blw. we had huge problems bf, everything that could go wrong did - she was an em cs, didn't latch, was cup-fed expressed colostrum (not much fun!), then when we did get going there were the cracks, blisters, blood blisters, mastitis, over-supply and painful let-down...oh, and i have raynauds in my nipples that is making a reappearance now the weather is getting colder again. sad

anyway, we cracked it about 4 months in, but since then every few weeks I get blistered nipples. This is very sore, even more so when the skin comes off them!!! I know that her latch is not brilliant, never has been despite intensive work with a fab LLL counsellor, but it has been fine most of the time. I am very proud of myself for getting this far, but am getting very frustrated at continually having to wriggle my toes while she latches on!

Someone did suggest that it could be linked to my menstrual cycle; my AF has not returned yet, but I can feel monthly changes - has anyone else experienced bf problems because of this?

Anyway, sorry this is so long and a bit moany, I really hope someone can help as I wanted to bf her till she self-weaned, and ttc sooner rather than later; if this continues, the possibility of being in pain for years was getting me down a little! sad

Thanks in advance.

catastrojb Wed 04-Nov-09 16:58:54

just to add that bizarrely, i do love bf her, and have never resented it! oh, and i'm too damn stubborn to give up now....grin

leeloo1 Wed 04-Nov-09 20:30:07

Sorry, not much help, but have you tried changing the position you feed her in? I had a situation with DS when he was biting me (teething issues) after feeding and I ended up with cuts that wouldn't heal. By changing to a rugby ball hold (under 1 arm) if he did bite then it didn't re-open the cuts so they had a chance to heal. Also changing position made him latch on a bit better as it was a surprise.

Also, BF counsellor advised to keep nipples dry, let them get air and to rub EBM onto them after each feed as it has stuff in it that promotes cell regeneration. Not sure if advice would be the same for blisters as cuts, but might help.

Good luck!

IsItMeOr Wed 04-Nov-09 20:38:21

Hi there - well done on sticking to your goal re BFing, sounds like you have been very determined smile.

I don't know if it is the same thing but I have found that I get sucking blisters occasionally, which I had assumed related to DS having a growth spurt and sucking more strongly than usual until my supply adjusted. Could that fit with your timings?

I have just tried to be more careful with latch until they heal, but luckily for me they have never been as bad as you're finding.

Not sure that helps, and hopefully somebody more expert will be along soon.

ThePinkOne Wed 04-Nov-09 20:43:30

I don't think this will be the solution for you but just a thought (and it might help someone else who searches in the future).

I got blisters when dd was a day or two old and the MW realised that dd was latching on ok but not staying on. I was letting her slip down a bit so holding her closer helped.

Hope you solve it smile

catastrojb Thu 05-Nov-09 19:03:46

Thanks all for taking the time to reply and for the support. IsItMeOr - I had wondered about GS, but didn't realise that there was one around now (although they seem to have them ALL THE TIME so very possible!) and hadn't noticed her sucking more strongly but she does seem to be feeding more often - particularly at night. TBH, I think this may be part of the problem; feeding her laying down at night means that I don't think we get such a good latch, and I am usually too half asleep to care/make the effort.

LeeLoo, I had forgotten about the rugby hold; I will start to try that on the worst side and see if it helps (I have avoided that side until engorgement got too much today; it's bleeding and skinless and VERY painful sad).

Thanks again. Fingers crossed it goes away soon....!!

JB xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now