Talk

Advanced search

Clear stuff coming out when I squeeze! 23 weeks pg and still feeding ds.

(11 Posts)
mawbroon Tue 03-Nov-09 21:49:43

What is it?

I couldn't squeeze a drop out a couple of weeks ago, and now I can squeeze out some clear stuff.

I still don't have it straight in my head how the switch over from mature milk back to colostrum happens - especially if the milk supply appears to have disappeared in the meantime.

DS was complaining the other week that there was hardly anything coming out at all, now he says there is a bit more, but not much. (He is 4 so this is fairly reliable!!)

I am just curious, not worried by it. I've never heard of it before!

mawbroon Tue 03-Nov-09 21:51:07

Forgot to say, my colostrum when ds was born was a luminous yellow. Is it likely to be different this time?

Grendle Tue 03-Nov-09 22:47:36

It's probably something to do with the changing milk. I noticed it this time round at a similar stage where weeks earlier I had been unable to squeeze anything out (although dd was still prepared to give it a go). After a few days I notices it was sometimes watery and somtimes had yellowy/milky streams within it. Still like that at virtually 39 weeks, only more of it now, so I guess colostrum. I don't remember noticing any of this whilst I was feeding ds when pg with dd. I think the colostrum post birth with dd was thicker, stickier and yellowier. No idea what will happen in the next few weeks smile.

CharCharGabor Tue 03-Nov-09 22:52:20

Thanks to this thread I have just had a squeeze and I have clear stuff too. I'm also 23 weeks and still feeding DD who is 2.3. I have been unable to hand express anything since 18 weeks when DD started just comfort sucking so assumed my milk had gone. Will see how it goes!

mawbroon Wed 04-Nov-09 10:21:25

I've just had a google. It appears to be my colostrum.

I am a bit blush that I didn't know colostrum could be clear!!!

I will watch with interest to see if it changes over the next few weeks because I hadn't thought to look for it this early with ds.

CharCharGabor Wed 04-Nov-09 11:19:11

I don't remember my colostrum being clear with DD although I do remember leaking from fairly early on. I will be watching too. DD latched on this morning and then came off and said 'Oh!' and frowned at my breast so I think it was a surprise for her!

alittleteapot Wed 04-Nov-09 22:06:02

Hi Mawbroon, i had this too! how's it going? i've had the first magic thread baby - a lovely ds born 5 weeks ago. dd has gone bf mad again - wasn't quite the plan! Good luck!

mawbroon Wed 04-Nov-09 22:14:24

Oh hi alittleteapot. Congratulations on your new arrival!

So, did your colostrum stay clear then? Or did it thicken up and go yellow before the birth?

I am fully expecting ds to go milk crazy when ds2 is born, but I am hoping that he might decide that milk is for babies.

Who knows!? Wait and see I guess.

alittleteapot Wed 04-Nov-09 22:21:19

no i think it stayed clear, poss a bit yellow on day of birth but nothing like with dd...

maygirl Thu 05-Nov-09 22:39:47

My colostrum was clear with first baby, and is clear again now, 28 weeks pregnant and nursing.

beanbearer Sat 07-Nov-09 21:06:54

Mine was clear too and DD was delighted when 'proper milk' came back: it hadn't stopped her feeding while I was pregnant though (she went from sleeping through to feeding 3 times a night, presumably because the supply dropped away). Can't remember if it went yellow for the first few days post birth. Sorry!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now