Talk

Advanced search

very gassy 3wk old - is my very generous milk supply to blame?

(2 Posts)
WaterGreen Tue 03-Nov-09 20:23:32

Dd is 3wks tomorrow, exc bf. She's gaining lots of weight, doing plenty of poos (all yellow) and is bright and alert. She's also extremely windy and seems to find farting/ pooing/ burping very uncomfortable. She will not lie on her back AT ALL - immediately starts grumbling and cycling her arms and legs in the air while grimacing - but is very happy on her tummy on my/DH's chest (which is where she currently spends about 95% of her time!).

I've started using Infacol, but TBH I'm not sure it is colic as she can be consoled with a lot of back-rubbing and lying on her tummy, and there's not very much crying. But she is clearly in discomfort after feeds, even though she is feeding well. I'm now starting to wonder if it could be linked to my milk supply, which seems to be plentiful, particularly on the left side, which sprays whenever she comes off the breast (I don't remember this ever happening when I bf ds). Both sides leak, the left more so (again, never had this first time round). Twice in the past two weeks I have had to pump from the left breast immediately after dd had fed from that side as it felt so full still (she was completely satisfied) - both times I got 5 or 6oz in just over 5 mins shock.

Could all this milk be causing her problems with her digestion? Is there anything I can do to ease it? She does tend to feed from only one side for most feeds; perhaps two or three times a day she'll want both.

losingtheplotthisweek Tue 03-Nov-09 22:13:11

My DC3 also very windy, since birth and still not at 5mnths!!! Also had a very plentiful supply (think perhaps we get more efficient each time???).

However, my supply evened out by the time she was 6 weeks and the wind situation has not.

The thing that worked best to settle her in the early days was cycling her legs for her or gently massaging her tummy. Hope this helps x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now