Talk

Advanced search

Cluster feeding in the morning - 6am to 11 am- and in the evening too!!!

(4 Posts)
Andromaca Tue 03-Nov-09 14:01:54

Hello, my DD is 6 weeks old and exclusively BF. Usually she feeds every 3 hours, a part from the morning, when she usually wakes up for the feeding around 5 or 6 am, she nurse and seems to settle down, but then she wakes up again after 20 minutes and wants to feed again, and we go ahead feeding in this way for hours (today she finally felt asleep at 12). Is this normal? I heard that cluster feeding happens at night, and she does it from 6pm to 9pm, but i quite like it because it means that I can snooze off as well, but is it ok to have this feeding pattern in the morning as well? She is a little bit windy, plenty of wet nappies and pooing every 2 or 3 days (in the meantime lots of very smelly farts from down there!!) and gaining weight. Will this feeding pattern compromise my milk supply??

Mummy369 Tue 03-Nov-09 19:53:37

Both my DS1 and my DD had this pattern whereas DS2 enjoyed cluster feeding in the evening. I breastfed each of them in excess of 2 years, so I don't think there was any compromise to my milk supply grin

As you say, it is quite nice to doze off again in the morning, especially if you've had a late night and need a lie-in!

1stMrsF Wed 04-Nov-09 15:05:31

My twins cluster fed in the morning and evening and continued to feed more often in the morning for quite a while (12 weeksish I think? - Not quite the mad cluster feeding but certainly more often than they fed for the rest of the day) At 6 weeks anything is normal as they have a growth spurt and feed more generally. The more frequent the feeding the more milk you will have, so don't worry about that.

MrsBadger Wed 04-Nov-09 15:36:39

at 6wks this sounds totally normal tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now