Talk

Advanced search

Scarring - will I be able to breastfeed?

(7 Posts)
LuckyC Mon 02-Nov-09 16:24:20

I am pg with first baby grin. My concern is that I have a scar on my nipple (this is probably the only website in the world where I could post that sentence and not think twice about it) where I was stitched up after a very bad fall from a horse aged 10 or so.

So, I have serious scar tissue which takes up roughly a third of my nipple.

What are the implications for breastfeeding?

Does anyone have any experience of similar?

Thanks very much.

luciemule Mon 02-Nov-09 19:06:35

Everything else aside (I'm uncertain about the scar on the nipple), it's perfectly feasible to bf from one breast and some women do this without trouble. Also most babies have a preferred side anyway.
Sorry I can't be more help on the nipple bit.

LuckyC Mon 02-Nov-09 19:08:58

Really? Had no idea about either of those things. Thanks!

Tambajam Mon 02-Nov-09 19:14:41

I'm just wondering what might happen if the scar tissue covers the ending of a duct. You might be at risk of getting a blocked duct and then mastitis pretty swiftly. I would perhaps ask your GP to refer you to someone who might know the possibilities.
But worst case scenario is that you could let that breast rest asap and the milk supply dwindle and feed from only one side as the PP suggest. Your milk supply should respond by producing more on the used side.

no idea about the issue but congratulations on your pregnancy!

luciemule Mon 02-Nov-09 19:25:40

Yes, the one used breast accommodates just as two would. Think about twins who only ever feed at once. Twins wouldn't take exactly the same amounts but the breasts would provide what each one wanted.From the baby's point of view it really doesn't matter feeding from one breast.

Your non-scarred breast will produce everything your LO needs.

LuckyC Wed 04-Nov-09 09:59:10

Thanks again, everyone. Reassuring to hear. Tambajam good advice I am definitely going to pursue getting a referral.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now