Talk

Advanced search

confused by 7 week old

(4 Posts)
lysie Mon 02-Nov-09 09:41:37

My breastfed 7 week old is unsettled at night after some feeds. I attempt to burp him as wind seems to be making him uncomfortable, however I am not often successful in getting any wind up, I hear the bubbles in his tummy but they don’t come out. He is very rarely sick.

Sometimes he will settle straight after a night feed, other times he will get upset during a feed and start fussing - which has gone on for upto 2 hours before going back to sleep – perhaps he gets over stimulated by my attempts to settle him – rocking, walking round the room etc. Often when he gets in a state he won’t accept the boob, but will eventually and then nurses to sleep.

When he does sleep he grunts and wiggles a lot as though uncomfortable.

He has his daytime sleeps in the sling; where he is mostly upright which seems to help. Anyone got any ideas about whats going on, and how I might help him to settle more successfully at night?

peanutbutterkid Mon 02-Nov-09 10:13:05

He sounds normal, they take a while to get used to digesting food.
Sometimes bigger gaps between feeds helps with wind, but some babies are just very prone to trapped burps no matter what you do (I had 2 like that).
Look after yourself, that's the part you can do something about.

lysie Mon 02-Nov-09 10:16:29

Thanks, he is my first and I don't really know whats normal - guess I'll have to keep having afternoon naps for the time being.

peanutbutterkid Mon 02-Nov-09 10:30:11

This babycare stuff is hard on most of us smile.

You could (worry yourself silly and) read up on silent relfux, but I don't think it sounds like it because it's only such a sporadic problem.

2 of mine were terrible at burping, was very difficult and hard on me, that's why I strongly urge you to pamper yourself whenever possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now