Talk

Advanced search

Stopping breastfeeding at 10 1/2 months need help with Hipp Formula

(5 Posts)
tutu100 Sun 01-Nov-09 18:46:21

DS2 doesn't want to feed from me anymore. I have been perservering for the last month, but now he has refused to latch on for 10 days. I have read about nursing strikes, but I have had some other health problems and so have reluctantly decided to not try to continue as he really doesn't want to.

Anyway I have been giving him Aptimil RTD cartons as it was all I could get in my local chemist. However wanted to give him organic formula so got some Hipp follow on milk today, but have some questions. What is the difference between the 6 mopnths follow on milk and the 10 month follow on milk?

Also got a RTD bottle of 6 month milk for him today, but when I tasted it, it was vile! Is that right or have I just given him gone off stuff. DS2 didn't seem to mind it though.

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 01-Nov-09 18:49:39

We swtiched to formula at 6 months and used Hipp.

No idea what the difference in the 6 and 10 month stuff is, I used whatever was available.

I don't think there is a lot of difference between under 6 month and different types of follow on milks anyway, other than that it is legal to advertise one and not the other.

(I know Hipp don't do the RTD stuff in bottles for under 6month yr olds though).

Yep, it tastes vile.

shonaspurtle Sun 01-Nov-09 18:53:05

Yes, it does taste pretty vile. It doesn't make a lot of difference what you give him. It's fine to give him the from-birth milk too if that's cheaper.

Remember as well that you can switch to ordinary cows milk at 1yr.

sweetkitty Sun 01-Nov-09 18:57:31

Can you express?

Start off with 10mls formula to 90mls BM then keep upping the amount of formula each day to get him used to the case until it's all formula

tutu100 Sun 01-Nov-09 21:44:46

He didn't seem to mind the taste it was me that nearly chucked grin. I was just worried though that there could be something wrong with the milk and I wouldn't know as I didn't know what it tasted like, but it sounds like thats what it should taste like.

Thank you everyone with your reassurance. Only 5 weeks and then I can give him cow's milk. Still feeling quite crappy that I'm not going to be feeding him any more, but trying to think at least it was him who made the decision to stop (he still won't latch on. I got a bitten nipple for my efforts).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now