Talk

Advanced search

Weaning bottle recommendations - baby won't take one

(10 Posts)
wolfear Sat 31-Oct-09 18:09:27

My 5 month old is breastfed, but I would like to reclaim my life and go out occasionaly so have been trying to get him to take a bottle with no luck. We've tried three different bottles, different people giving them to him, waiting til he's starving etc. He just pushes it out with his tongue and cries.

He did have one when he was about 4 weeks old without any problem but I never persisted.

Can anyone suggest any tips or bottles that might help? I hear MAM are good?

asuwere Sat 31-Oct-09 18:35:27

I don't think this is much help but DS3 refused any bottle at all until I had to give up breastfeeding (for unrelated reasons) when he was nearly 9months. Even at that point, he only took a bottle after 24hrs of refusal and then he finally realised that he had to.

If it helps though, after you start weaning, you may start to get longer breaks and will be able to get time to yourself. You've made it this far so it's not much longer to wait.

I do appreciate it is very hard though so good luck

asuwere Sat 31-Oct-09 18:36:48

Oh, also meant to say, have you tried a cup? He might be happy to try that? Doidy cups are quite easy for them to use.

JetLi Sat 31-Oct-09 18:39:26

I like BreastFlow bottles. DD switches between them and the boob very well. They have been cheap in TK Maxx recently, and some Mothercare stores stock them. They're about a fiver a chuck.

NormaBatesFeltcher Sat 31-Oct-09 18:39:34

When I went back to work NUK worked for us. But they are all so individual

WuktersDarkLair Sat 31-Oct-09 18:43:42

Is it called a doidy cup, I mean is it a brand name. I have the same problem except I have to go back to work. Agh, panicking now...

asuwere Sat 31-Oct-09 19:02:30

wuktersdarklair - yes, doidy cup they are very good.

IslandIsla Sat 31-Oct-09 20:58:32

My DD would never take a bottle - gave up trying at 4 months. Then I got her familiar with a cup (Tommee tippee first cup - free flow) and she will drink small amounts from this - enough to give me a bit of time off!

wolfear Sat 31-Oct-09 21:18:19

Righto. I've got doidy cup - DS1 uses it so will give it a shot if I get desperate. I'd really like to get DS2 onto a bottle though. I really want to persevere. Might try one of these Breastflows Jet mentioned. They look pretty techno.

Gemzooks Sat 31-Oct-09 22:30:27

my DD refused and refused, the only thing to do is keep trying patiently and in the end, they will take it ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now