Talk

Advanced search

HELP! Urgently need someone sober-ish to tell me about expressing after drinking alcohol!

(8 Posts)
YanknHeadsOffCocks Fri 30-Oct-09 23:51:16

ok my mother is here visiting from the states and told me and DH to go out and have a good time. DS is 9 weeks old and has about 5-6oz of EBM each evening before bed at 7-8pm, then I express the next days bottle at night between 8-11pm.

Tonight I've been out at a beer festival. I had 3.5 pints of various things, nothing terribly strong, 3.6-5%. This was between 9-11pm. Now home, boobs full and a bit hurty. If I express, I can't use this right? I have to throw it away?

I weigh 17st so am not a small girl. Don't feel particularly pissed, just a bit merry. What should I do please? Express and throw away? Do nothing and feed as usual in morning? If I express can any of it be used tomorrow?

moondog Sat 31-Oct-09 00:08:24

God, yuo are absolutely fine, I assure you.
Don't express or throw away.Just feed as normal.

Really. smile

YanknHeadsOffCocks Sat 31-Oct-09 00:14:48

But can I express for tomorrow's bottle now? normally I would have had 2-3 pumping sessions by this time of night to get 5-6oz for tomrorow's bottle, so my boobs are HURTY! i can't go to sleep like this! If I express you're saying I can use it? It's not full of beer?

MavisG Sat 31-Oct-09 00:18:21

Yes you can, you're fine. Very little gets through, and you've not had that much. Don't chuck it.

shonaspurtle Sat 31-Oct-09 00:18:39

It will have a wee bit alcohol in it but not much. I would use it.

Whatever, you do need to express or you're risking engorgement, blocked ducts etc. Will make you more comfortable in any case.

YanknHeadsOffCocks Sat 31-Oct-09 00:21:08

cheers ladies, am expressing now!

Longtalljosie Sat 31-Oct-09 05:30:45

The NCT say if you're safe to drive, you're safe to breastfeed. Does that help?

HappyBump Sat 31-Oct-09 05:52:25

Hi - well done for getting out and enjoying yourself! don't stress, though it sounds like you are doing the right thing.

Alcohol in breast milk is apparently equivilent to your blood/alcohol level which would vary depending on each person and their ability to process the alcohol.

Apparently a pint is about 2.3 units of alcohol based on it being at 4%, so I would have thought you would have consumed maybe 2.5 units per pint.

3x2.5= 7.5 units over a 3 hour period. It takes an average person about 1 hour to process a unit.

I would have personally expressed (because it might be painful if you don't) and chuck given your baby is only 9 weeks old, I would be worried there would still be alcohol in the milk. However I would feed as normal in the morning as the alcohol should have passed through your system by then.

Kellymom website is invaluable (I think) for anything bf related and gives really clear practical advice.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now