Talk

Advanced search

Baby led attachment

(5 Posts)
twynkle Fri 30-Oct-09 15:20:23

I have heard mention of this a couple of times recently.

What exactly is it? Are there any benefits?

GhoulsafraidofVirginiaWoolf Fri 30-Oct-09 15:30:44

Does this help? AFAIK it is one of many options you can try. Some of its advantages include the fact that at teh very least you and the baby get some skin-to-skin, it is very relaxed and can destress if you are finding bf hard-going, research suggests babies are programmed to find the nipple so it is really leaving it up to them. I tried after DD was born but was too impatient blush but I would always say it's got to be worth a go. What have you got to lose?

Hulla Fri 30-Oct-09 16:48:03

We did this when dd had problems latching and it was probably what saved us in the end.

I couldn't for the life of me get her to latch on very well unless I was with a bfc. She kept slipping off and crying. This was especially hellish at 3am when you're so tired you feel like sobbing anyway.

So I spent a couple of days in bed, no top on, dd in a nappy and fed her whilst lying on my back. I feel as though DD "learnt" to latch properly in this position and after a couple of days it became much easier to get a good latch in cradle hold.

It worked for us, just wish I'd taken some pics now! smile

Druidmama Fri 30-Oct-09 17:52:11

I did this with DD2, she was jaundiced and sleepy and hadn't had a bf (we were syringing it in) for 24 hours. She seemed to be able to breast crawl and attatch even when asleep, then she was gradually awake more and eventually able to latch in any position...it only took 3 days to get her back to feeding just at the breast!

My Mum didn't believe it was possible until she saw my tangoed fast asleep baby wriggle her way over and latch on...

foxytocin Fri 30-Oct-09 18:08:24

baby led attachment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now