Talk

Advanced search

What is the safest way to make up formula?

(10 Posts)
roslily Thu 29-Oct-09 22:20:34

Ok, apart from the way on the box, which is impractical with a screaming baby being fed on demand.

Is it better to make it with hot water and store in fridge or keep separate and add powder to cooled boiled water?

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 29-Oct-09 22:26:28

This is my method:

I usually made up a few at a time, and always had to have at least one in the fridge. We had a strict rotation system where the newest bottles went straight to the back of the fridge.

Never had any in the fridge for more than 24 hours (was usually much less than that)

Right

-Fresh boil the kettle.
-Sterilise bottles.
-Put timer on for 20 mins for kettle to cool down.
-Bottles straight out of steriliser, filled with water up to required amount, add correct amount of powder
-lids/teats straight out of steriliser and onto the bottles.

-Put the bottles straight into a bowl full of very cold water - this will speed the cooling process so they spend minimal time at the danger zone for bacteria (about 5 - 60C IIRC)

Depending on the size of bottle, they should be cool enough in about 20 mins to go into the fridge.

I found it easiest to do it at the same time each day (after breakfast) so I knew when they were all made up.

HTH

(and sorry for rambling!!)

suwoo Thu 29-Oct-09 22:29:09

That was how I did it with DD 8 years ago IMOVE. Is that still considered ok these days?

Advice is now not to store any in the fridge but to make each bottle up as you need it.

The reason is because there is bacteria in the formula that can be activated when water is added to it. So if stored in the fridge the bacteria starts growing.

If you add the formula to cooled, boiled water it won't be hot enough to kill off any bacteria either.

You really need to add the formula to water that is at least 70degrees hot. Then cool quickly under cold tap till cool enough to drink.

MonsterousNasalPustule Thu 29-Oct-09 22:34:03

A flask with fresh boiled water in it - a small flask or the fisher price one, will stay very hot for 8 hours.

In a sterile bottle i have the cold water i will need for the feed.

In an empty bottle do 1oz of hot water and add 3 scoops of powder, swirl and pour in the prepared 2ozs cooled water.

Shake/swirl and feed.

Sounds like a faff but takes a little pre prep twice a day and means you can have a bottle ready in less than a minute.

Obviously the quantities will be different for bigger feeds but a little experimentation with water only will give you the measurements you need.

suwoo Thu 29-Oct-09 22:35:27

Is that 'legal'? Monsterous?

Fitzy72 Thu 29-Oct-09 22:40:29

my method;

sterilise bottles
boil fresh water in kettle
leave kettle to cool approx 30 mins
half fill bottles with boiled water
put into fridge

to make up bottles;
heat bottle to boiling in microwave
add formula and mix
top up with cooled water from another bottle in fridge

fresh water and sterilised bottles every 12 hours

bottles are usually at right temp when fully made up.

MonsterousNasalPustule Thu 29-Oct-09 22:43:51

I believe so Suwoo as the aim is to mix very hot water and the powder to destroy any harmfuls and that is acheived, adding the rest of the water lowers the temp and it can be drunk straight away.

It cuts out waiting for the kettle to boil each time.

roslily Thu 29-Oct-09 22:44:44

Thanks. I know why the guidelines but my ds won't wait! When I was breastfeeding he went from chewing fists to screaming in less time than it took me to sit down, let alone lift clothes and faff with bra.

thanks or the advice.

MonsterousNasalPustule Thu 29-Oct-09 22:45:10

It is also perfectly doable when out of the home whereas other methods might not be unless RTF cartons are used.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now