Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Trimethoprim and breastfeeding - I'M PANICKING!

(4 Posts)
Faifly Thu 29-Oct-09 21:09:40

Had a great pregnancy - not even puked once, but now it's just one bugger after another angry still bleeding 3 weeks after delivery, no tears but aching all the same, and worst of all - cystitis. Been given trimethoprim. GP looked in his magic book where it said "excreted into breast milk but short-term exposure is safe". I looked up online tho and found lots of references to it being a no-no for b/f mums sad one site said b/f should be stopped during the entire course of treatment (I was told 5 days).
So i'm now thinking - should I switch to formula? Or say, b/feed 4-5 times a day, at a time when the drug concentration in my system is (supposedly) at its lowest, and give him formula Or stick to b/f and hope for the best? I've also got a bit of milk sitting in the freezer but that's only going to last 6-7 feeds (that's if i worked out how much he needs right hmm)
Has anyone taken trimethoprim? Any comments?

AnyGhoulKno Thu 29-Oct-09 21:18:49

I have had trimethoprim when bfing and was told it was safe.

Tambajam Thu 29-Oct-09 21:19:21

The GP is right. Short-term exposure is safe (provided you are not talking about a very young jaundiced baby). You can read reliable information on Thomas Hale's forum. He is probably the world's leading expert on medication and breastfeeding. Enter as a guest and perform a search and read all the references:
neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi
I also have a breastfeeding network booklet on drugs in front of me which describes it as 'safe in breastfeeding'. There are a couple of other antibiotics which don't get such a positive write-up so this booklet doesn't pull its punches.

Faifly Fri 30-Oct-09 01:57:41

many thanks for the link tambajam

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now