Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DS might have swine flu. Do you know much about immunity and breastfeeding to answer my ponderings?

(5 Posts)
mawbroon Thu 29-Oct-09 20:56:57

DS may or may not have swine flu. He was swabbed today, but it will be a week before the results come back, so hopefully he will be well by then.

I know about the thing where saliva on the nipple triggers the mother's immune system to make antibodies in response to whatever the nursling needs, but I am wondering if this just works for things that the mother is already immune to, or with new stuff too?

I am 22wks pg, and am wondering if I will already have some antibodies in my system if/when I catch it. <grasps at straws>

Any ideas?

mawbroon Thu 29-Oct-09 22:03:44

Bump, before I go to bed.

Mummy369 Fri 30-Oct-09 00:05:38

If you have already been exposed to swine flu then you should have started to develop immunity towards it, in the form of antibodies. hope your DS feels after soon.

Mummy369 Fri 30-Oct-09 00:07:22

Feels better soon!

mawbroon Fri 30-Oct-09 10:24:09

Thanks mummy369. I thought he was getting a bit better, but chucked and had diarrhoea early this morning.

I have hardly any milk at the moment, being pg, and i just wish I had some more for him. I guess the tiny bit he's getting is better than nothing though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now