Talk

Advanced search

ff from birth: too much breast milk

(8 Posts)
peasandbeans Thu 29-Oct-09 19:47:41

One of my good friends has just had a ds, and has decided to ff from birth.

The baby is now 5 days old, and as the mother has plenty of breast milk, which is causing discomfort.

I would like to help her, but know nothing about formula feeding.

Is there anything she can do apart from taking hot showers, or trying to express a little bit of milk to relieve the pain?

BertieBotts Thu 29-Oct-09 19:55:24

She needs to express just enough to keep her feeling comfortable - any more and she will stimulate more milk production which is not what she wants. She can hand express into the shower or use a pump (and maybe mix it with her DD's formula?)

Also savoy cabbage leaves in the bra!

BertieBotts Thu 29-Oct-09 19:56:35

Also - her midwife or HV should have told her this - she needs to watch out for any lumps or blockages which can lead to mastitis. If she feels any lumps or blockages she should massage the lump towards the nipple and contact her midwife/HV for advice.

peasandbeans Fri 30-Oct-09 18:31:27

thank you so much: that was sort of what I thought, but having ff I wasn't sure if there were other helpful tips.

How long does it take to stop producing milk if you never breastfeed at all?

tiktok Fri 30-Oct-09 18:47:48

Would she feel ok about giving the baby the milk she expresses?

peasandbeans Fri 30-Oct-09 19:54:37

I don't know: its a good idea I suppose isn't it, rather than throwing it away; but then she would need to express enough to make it worthwile which might make for a lot of extra work.

I really would just like to say something helpful, whilst respecting totally her decision not to breastfeed. She breastfed her DD1 and found weaning to go back to work a nightmare. She knows I breastfed all three of my dcs long term; I don't want her to think I am trying to convert her...

BertieBotts Sat 31-Oct-09 19:24:17

She wouldn't need to express any particular amount to make it worthwhile, she could mix it with her DD's formula. Any breastmilk she does give her would be a boost for her immune system

leapyearbaby Mon 02-Nov-09 01:34:40

gosh it's a tough one isn't it, seems such a tragic waste of milk - but what can you do if she want so ff? so hard not to try and convert!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now