Talk

Advanced search

Less interest in feeding at 12 weeks

(3 Posts)
AnneofIngleside Thu 29-Oct-09 12:51:19

I am not too worried at the moment as my 12 week baby is a healthy size, but she seems much less interested in B/F these days. When we're out and about it's almost impossible as she is far too nosy to get down to it. But even at home she's often only feeding for about 5 minutes, and I'm worried she might not be getting enough hindmilk. She started on the 98th centile, went up to the 99.6th, and has just gone back to the 98th. She only put on 4oz last week which is much less than normal. I'm sure I am worrying for nothing as she is such a big healthy baby (16lb5oz), is contented between feeds, and sleeps well during the day and at night. But I'm just worried she's suddenly going to lose interest in B/F altogether and I'll have to start supplementing with formula. Have anyone else's babies reduced their B/F significantly at this age? She is going for about 3 hours between feeds now which is good as before she was feeding almost hourly, but it feels so weird to me not spending several hours of the day pinned to the sofa! She has also found her thumb recently so maybe one of the reasons is that she doesn't need me to be her dummy anymore!

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Thu 29-Oct-09 15:41:18

bumping for you

ParanoidAtAllTimes Fri 30-Oct-09 00:55:47

I'm afraid I'm not much help but I thought I'd let you know that exactly the same thing happened with my ds. I was worried about lack of weight gain (4oz in 3 weeks!) so spoke to an NCT bfc. She said that often bf babies plateau around 3 months and this is normal. I expect you'll find that your dd will make up for it in a couple of weeks (currently feeding 2 hourly through the night for the 1st time in months!! shock). I would highly recommend that you start pumping regularly to keep up your supply, somethin I wish I'd done.

HTH and good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now