Talk

Advanced search

Could wheat be causing ds's reflux?

(8 Posts)
Confuzzeled Thu 29-Oct-09 10:35:51

I gave up wheat and dairy on Friday. On Sunday & Monday ds hardly vomited at all. Monday night I was so starving I ate some wheat and then decided I would give up wheat another time if giving up dairy didn't work. But Tuesday and yesterday ds vomited loads and has been really bad this morning.

The giving up dairy hasn't made any difference so far (apart from I'm starving). Could it have been the no wheat for 2 days that made him better on Sunday?

Bessie123 Thu 29-Oct-09 10:38:11

yes

Longtalljosie Thu 29-Oct-09 10:43:08

You'll know reflux has peaks and troughs so I'd go with maybe... Reinstate the dairy and carry on being wheatless for a full week, that should give you a better idea...

mumtoem Thu 29-Oct-09 10:45:52

Dairy is certainly the more common cause of reflux, but I guess it could be possible for wheat to be the problem. My suggestion is that you start eating dairy again and stop eating wheat. You need to do this for at least 2 weeks to really see if it works. To deal with the hunger make sure you have some quick, non-wheat, snacks available (cheesy wotsits or icecream grin).

If your DS is still having problems after a few weeks, then try stopping dairy.

His reflux might have nothing to do with food. My DD had silent reflux that was not related to food, although she was also dairy intolerant (grown out of it now).

AbricotsSecs Thu 29-Oct-09 10:51:33

Message withdrawn

Confuzzeled Thu 29-Oct-09 10:59:56

I have been really strict, I bought lactose free milk then I discovered it was the cow protein, so that went down the sink.

My dd grew out of it when she was weaned at 6 months but I just don't want to wait that long with ds.

I might go back on the dairy and give up wheat for a week to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then I'll go back off dairy.

I'll see the HV later today and I'm sure she'll want to give ds gaviscon, I just really don't want to medicate if I don't need to.

AbricotsSecs Thu 29-Oct-09 11:09:29

Message withdrawn

Bessie123 Thu 29-Oct-09 12:28:14

Have you tried cutting out soya as well? That is another common cause of reflux

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now