Talk

Advanced search

grabbing hands - 10 week old

(10 Posts)
belindarose Wed 28-Oct-09 20:39:47

My alert and interested 10 week old DD has just discovered the power of her hands. She's found out they can grab things and finds this great fun. However, grabbing my nipple with her hands isn't much fun for me. She's spent the last couple of days, during nearly all feeds, finding her hands and what they can do much more interesting than feeding. Apart from wrapping her up to feed (which I used to have to do but we've moved on since then - or so I'd thought!), is this just something I have to get used to for the rest of our breastfeeding lives, or does anyone have any handy tips.

lindsaygii Wed 28-Oct-09 21:12:22

Why do you object to wrapping her up again?

She's only 10 weeks old - it's not like she'll feel punished or shamed or any of those other things that require language and a social framework wider than 'poo, milk, mummy' to make sense.

It's hardly a going to be a biggie, is it?

jkklpu Wed 28-Oct-09 21:17:27

make sure you keep her nails short

thisisyesterday Wed 28-Oct-09 21:20:26

i always found that holding one hand worked quite well, or giving them a muslin or something to hold onto

pookamoo Wed 28-Oct-09 21:20:42

Try one of these my friend swore by hers (I have lots of little pinch marks instead!wink).

belindarose Wed 28-Oct-09 21:22:59

I don't 'object' to wrapping her up and hardly thought she'd

'feel punished or shamed or any of those other things that require language and a social framework wider than 'poo, milk, mummy' to make sense'.

just wondered if this was what ten week old babies did, that's all.

jkklpu - I discovered the need for short nails this afternoon when I got a nice nipple scratch! Now checking them before each feed!

belindarose Wed 28-Oct-09 21:24:11

Hadn't thought of giving her something to hold - thanks for those ideas. She might rather like a 'nursing necklace' actually.

BertieBotts Wed 28-Oct-09 21:28:17

Yes cut nails twice a week at least, easier to do when they are asleep. (DS needs his cutting about every 2 days hmm)

Nursing necklaces are supposed to be good - you might as well get one now, I wish I'd got one when DS was littler as I keep thinking of getting one now but not feeling it would be justified as he's one now so soon enough I'll be able to just tell him not to pinch/grab/twiddle/pull hair etc.

pookamoo Wed 28-Oct-09 22:36:31

Yes, Bertie I'm in the same position, DD is one next month, and I just keep her nails as short as I can and hold on to her little hands if she grabs. I think it's too late for the necklaces for us now. Hopefully something like that will keep belinda's DD occupied!

There are lots of different kinds of nursing necklaces out there, including some which are suitable for the baby to actually chew on when they are teething, and some which you can wear as a "normal" necklace.

<secretly would have liked one for mothers' day but didn't drop enough hints!>

lindsaygii Thu 29-Oct-09 20:16:49

Well sorry I'm sure, but I guessed you objected to wrapping her up by the way you were saying that you didn't want to do it...

All I'm saying is that a ten week old child has no reason or rationality, so wrap her up. She won't mind, will she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now