Talk

Advanced search

Could this be silent reflux?

(12 Posts)
HeinzSight Wed 28-Oct-09 13:37:07

DD1 had this, but unlike DD2 she was ff. DD1 would be really fussy in the evenings and when sleeping would wake frequently as if in pain. She also did acid smelling cottage cheese type burps.

I have started several threads these past few days about DD2. DD2 just exhibits the fussiness, mostly inthe evenings. If anything it's getting worse. My GP put her on antibiotics last week because her ear drum looked swollen. I've read this can be caused by silent reflux.

DD1 improved enormously when she was put on infant Gaviscon. I'm wonderimg whether this could help DD2 aswell?

HeinzSight Wed 28-Oct-09 13:38:18

forgot to say, her saliva is often very 'bubbly'...

HeinzSight Wed 28-Oct-09 18:25:00

bump

HeinzSight Wed 28-Oct-09 20:21:43

bump

ib Wed 28-Oct-09 20:25:28

It's probably worth a try, gaviscon is very safe so if you give it to her and she improves you could have your answer fairly easily?

When ds had it, the paed gastro did ask about other cases in the family as he said it's fairly strongly genetic.

HeinzSight Wed 28-Oct-09 21:01:18

ib thanks so much for your post, especially the bit about the genetic link as my hv said there wasn't a link. DH has got reflux problems too!

I'm just waiting for the water to cool down enough to make her a dose of Gaviscon.

ib Thu 29-Oct-09 20:55:33

Good luck. It's really stressful when your baby isn't well, isn't it?

HeinzSight Fri 30-Oct-09 13:57:07

It's HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!! xx

MrsPuddleduck Fri 30-Oct-09 17:42:41

Has the gaviscon helped? I am in a similar position. DS2 had really bad silent acid reflux and I am waiting to see if DS3 (4 weeks) gets it. In the last few days he has had foamy saliva and curdled burps.

HeinzSight Sat 31-Oct-09 14:31:39

I'm not really sure Willmouse, she's still awful in the evenings. I'll keep going with it for a few more days to see if it does help.

Your DS2's curdled burps sound very suspect to me. My DD1 had that. Is it like he's bringing up cottage cheese? It definitely sounds like your DS3 has silent reflux. Why don't you give some infant gaviscon a try, you can buy it over the counter and it's completely harmless. I do remember by DD1 being a COMPLETELY different baby as soon as I started her on gaviscon.

Good luck and come back at let me know how you get on. smile

x

abhew Sun 01-Nov-09 13:37:08

Hi there I'm new to this but this sounds very similar to my 5 week old DD1. If I put her in her moses basket flat on her back even with the mattress a little bit raised she wakes in the night bringing her knees to her chest as though trying to bring something up sometimes coughing, then starts crying in pain. Except on rare occasions the only way we can get her to sleep is on me or my dh.

More recently has started crying after feeds, especially when I try and wind her. Her legs are kicking and she's really screaming as though in pain. She doesn't bring up sick all the time but I have seen the cottage cheese type sick that you've mentioned.

Is the infant gaviscon the answer? I'm getting so stressed about it all that she'll never be able to sleep on her own.

ib Sun 01-Nov-09 15:38:46

abhew - that very much sounds like reflux. Gaviscon can help in the milder cases, if it doesn't there are other meds which can sort it out.

You should really see a doctor about this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now