Talk

Advanced search

Small baby losing weight at 5 months

(7 Posts)
LittleBlueShoes Mon 26-Oct-09 20:24:37

My BF baby is almost five months now and for the last month has been dropping his weight gain from the 9th centile down to 0.4 centile. Two weeks ago he slipped off the chart and when he was weighed today he had actually lost weight (from 9lb 6oz to 9lb 2 oz). He was born small (5lb 2oz) at 37 weeks but seemed to take well to breastfeeding from the start, although always had quite short feeds (about 15 mins) and has always had lots of wind (needs to be winded many times throughout feed and a lot at the end). Sometimes I have just given up a feed as he fusses a lot towards the end and wriggles with wind. I was demand feeding him, about every two hours or less sometimes but started to only feed every three hours as it seemed to make him less windy and also he seemed to then stay on for a longer and seem more contented at the breast tomorrow. He has also for the last week and a half only been pooing once every 24 hours (usually at 3am!) and the nappies are very liquid and a bit smelly and greenish rather than yellow. HV wants me to start weaning him to 'beef him up a bit' but I am terrified this will mean he takes even less breast milk (by the way, I have loads of milk, breasts always leaking between feeds). Oh, and I think I have a very fast flow so usually squeeze a bit out at the start to try and stop it squirting too much as I think he was struggling with that. Any advice???

losingtheplotthisweek Mon 26-Oct-09 22:13:27

LittleBlueShoes,

To be on the safe side, take baby to docs for a bit of a check up.

This happened with my DD at about the same age. After several weeks, attepmting to wean and further weight loss, doc diagnosed ear and chest infections. The doc advised that is very unusual to have infections without temperature but that it is possible. Bless her, after a short course of antibiotics she was piling the weight on again.

If the doctor gives the all clear then it's probably worth giving the weaning a go. Dont know how well you get on with expressing but you can always water down purees and baby rice with your milk.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

losingtheplotthisweek Mon 26-Oct-09 22:15:21

Sorry, just reread and am wondering if you squeezing some out is meaning that he's not getting enough liquid? I think the first part of the feed is thirst quenching and the next bit is 'the good stuff'!

Just a thought.

AcademicMum Mon 26-Oct-09 23:03:39

Your ds sounds rather like mine at the same age. Born on the 9th centile, followed it beautifully (even left it a bit towards the 25th) and then by 5 months dropped to the 0.4th centile after 8 weeks of no weight gain. He was breastfed but we found later allergic to cows milk. You could get your doctors to check this out as a possibility as this can cause "failure to thrive". In my case I started weaning ds2 at 23 weeks on avocado/banana which is nice and calorific and although the HV was convinced he was fine before that within a week of starting him on avocado sge commented that he was like a different baby! Get the opinion of your GP (although in my case it was no use whatsoever) and ensure he is being plotted on the BF baby charts. When I downloaded those I found that although ds2 had left his 9th centile line he only fell to the 2nd centile line not the 0.4th and went back to the 9th quickly (although on the standard charts he only went back to the 2nd centile).

It is desparately worrying when your lo doesn't gain weight but please try to take things nice and calmly and slowly. I think I tried too much to shovel food down ds2's throat which in the long run may have its own problems.

Also, just bare in mind he may be small but someone has to be. Does he seem dehydrated?

LittleBlueShoes Wed 28-Oct-09 21:19:21

Thanks for all your responses! The GP thinks he probably has a stomach upset, made worse because he is already quite a windy baby. He has prescribed gaviscon and referred us to the hospital so they can check his bowels just in case it is something more. So far the gaviscon is making quite a difference - he's burping really well and seems much more comfortable! He's feeding for much longer and looks fuller at the end of it. Thanks again for your support.

Rosebud05 Wed 28-Oct-09 21:23:18

Something very similar happened to a friend of mine's baby. I don't think anything was actually diagnosed, but I do remember that she started piling on the weight when she was weaned and is now a thriving 2 year old!

Hther Sun 01-Nov-09 14:27:38

as an alternative to expressing some off before a feed, have you tried lying down to feed. eg flat on your back? to slow it down a bit

your HV should be encouraging you to continue bf for as long as you want to? do you mean weaning onto solids or weaning from the breats and giving forumla instead?

i ahve had a chil who started on 50th centile and went down to below 0.4th and is now on 25th, but it took over a year, ia lso have a toddler who went from 75th to 91st and is now 25th, very healthy though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now