Talk

Advanced search

how often should a baby breast feed at 7 months?

(10 Posts)
lilymolly Mon 26-Oct-09 19:55:13

Hi Ds is a little baby weighs about 15lbs has almost doubled his birth weight, seems heathly and happy but I am not sure he is getting enough milk.

He was exclusivly breastfed (every 2 hours between 7 and 7pm then once in a night until about 25 weeks when I introduced solids and now they are established and he is 30 weeks his pattern is this:

7am Breastfeed
8am Porridge/weetabix with a little toast or fruit after

lunch 11.30
Breastfeed either before or after lunch

Breastfeed at about 3.30

Tea at 4.30

Breastfeed at 7pm bedtime

Breastfeed at about 3am

The reason I cut down on feedin him every 2 hours, was so he would eat some solid food as he found it a struggle, and also because feeding him every 2 hours was very demanding

I am finding life easier now, with the dropped feeds, but is he getting enough milk???

Please could someone advise?

hairymelons Mon 26-Oct-09 19:57:25

I think the guidelines are 500ml of milk a day between 6-12 months. If you're concerned about his intake but don't want to up the feeds you could maybe increase it by using milk/ yoghurt etc. in cooking?

lilymolly Mon 26-Oct-09 20:01:06

Its difficult to gauge how much milk he is getting though as he is breastfed.
He has 2 yoghurts a day and he also as milk in his porridge too

tinierclanger Mon 26-Oct-09 20:05:20

I wouldn't worry, it sounds like more than enough. I had similar fretting about DS and being unable to measure his intake but honestly I think babies are pretty self-regulating, he's probably taking as much as he needs and if you are giving yogurts and porridge, it'll be plenty.

KristinaM Mon 26-Oct-09 20:06:14

he should still be getting most of his calories from breast milk for the first year

i think that eating 3 meals a day is a lot for a 7 month old. no wonder he is finding it a struggle

kellymom says

"Breastmilk should make up the majority of baby’s nutrition through the end of the first year. At some point toward the end of the first year, most babies will gradually begin to need more iron and zinc than that provided by breastmilk alone - at that point, additional nutrients can be obtained from small amounts of solids.

Some babies thrive on breastmilk alone until 12 months or later - as long as your baby is continuing to gain weight and grow as he should, your milk is meeting his needs well. "

dinkystinkystein Mon 26-Oct-09 20:09:42

Sounds like plenty - DS2 moved to solids at 6 months - and mixed feeding - and has bf morning, evening and in the middle of the night with bottles (generally around 4 oz each time) of formula at 10.30ish and 2.30ish - and he's happy and thriving.

hairymelons Mon 26-Oct-09 20:10:59

lillymolly, it is really hard to know how much they're getting, I always used to worry. It does sound like plenty, as tinier says if he wanted more he'd probably let you know. We just have to trust their appetites, random as they seem at times.

FlyingMonkey Mon 26-Oct-09 21:08:38

Hi there. My DS is similar age & weight. Our routine is:
6.30am breastfeed
8am breakfast
11am breastfeed
1pm lunch
3.30pm breastfeed
5.30pm dinner
7.30pm breastfeed
If he has porridge for breakfast then I also express milk and add that.

It's quite stressful isn't it, trying to gauge how much milk they're actually taking? The last time I had DS weighed (about 4 weeks ago) he had only put on 10oz in 5 weeks so now I am constantly fretting that he's not getting enough milk! Plus, when I do feed him, he is on and off the boob and trying to grasp the nearest object of interest.

lilymolly Mon 26-Oct-09 22:05:57

thanks girls

I will try and maybe get another feed in as I do know that the milk is still the most important and calorific food.

Pannacotta Mon 26-Oct-09 22:10:07

WHat you could do is to always give him a feed before his lunch rather than afterwards.

Offering milk before food is a good way to make sure he gets enough milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now