Talk

Advanced search

My HV has just told me that DD is putting weight on too quickly!!

(14 Posts)
memoo Mon 26-Oct-09 12:48:02

And I should give her water before her feeds to try and reduce the amount she has!

She is 5 weeks old, bottle feeding and put on about 8 ounces in the last week.

Is she talking complete bollocks because I really can't see how a newborn baby can be feeding too much?!!

I'm very angry

TombliBOOOOOObs Mon 26-Oct-09 13:05:55

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Unless she is pointing to some medical issue hmm

It seems to be the new craze with HV's, used to be the underweight that got it in the neck, now it is all about 'obese babies'

Reading your profile, you have got 3 children? I am sure you know whether she is actually feeding way too much, but I suspect not.

puffylovett Mon 26-Oct-09 13:08:21

sounds nuts to me. (However, I don't really know much about bottle feeding.) My bfed DS put on 9 oz in his first week. When I saw my health visitor with him for the first time, she said I didn't have to bother with bringing him to baby clinic for weigh ins, as clearly there wasn't going to be an issue with his weight grin

So that's the opposite end of the scale for you wink

They don't always put on weight at the requisite half a pound per week, do they. It fluctuates from week to week ime. Some weeks they have very little weight gain, others lots hmm

MrsKitty Mon 26-Oct-09 13:13:34

FFS they're never bloody happy are they? Is there some magic number that we're supposed to achieve each week? hmm] Flippin' HVs...

<<Aaaaand breathe>>

SquIDGEyeyeballs Mon 26-Oct-09 14:00:02

Don't see the HV and don't get her weighed unless you think she is failing to thrive - job done!

MatNanPlus Mon 26-Oct-09 14:03:19

If your happy with DD then don't take her to be weighed more than once a month (if at all).

A rule of thumb is happy baby, sleeping, nappies and growing into/out of clothes = thriving baby.

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Mon 26-Oct-09 14:08:00

I am not a bottle feeder but I am sure the information she has told you is very very wrong and could potentially be dangerous.

I would strongly urge you to report this. She may be saying this to other mothers who take her word as the law.

If your dd is consuming the amount of milk as stated in the manufacturers guidelines then surely that is ok?

chibi Mon 26-Oct-09 14:12:58

ha bloody ha. my hv told me when my ds was putting on 6 oz a week that he was in danger of failing to thrive.

ignore,ignore,ignore.

what 'line' is she on?
Unless she's off the charts, then surely she's in the 'healthy weight' range?!
8oz in 2 weeks doesn't sound like a lot to me.
But of course she is a HV and I am not so if you/ she genuinely thinks there's a problem I'd get it checked.
Water before feeds hmm

JaMmRocks Mon 26-Oct-09 14:31:52

Well that's crazy. DS2 put on just under a whole pound the other week (at around 4 weeks) and he's breastfed. How could I be over feeding him?

I think ignore this time and see how your dd goes

roslily Mon 26-Oct-09 15:52:17

When I breastfed my ds he gained 10oz in 3 days- the midwife congratulated me! I am now bottlefeeding, and was told that newborns don't overeat by my HV. If anything his weight gain has slowed since being on bottles, but I still feed him on demand.

HV told me as long as he doesn't go from 2nd to 98th centile in a week or something then it is fine.

Plonker Mon 26-Oct-09 16:40:54

Grrrr, bloody HCP's drive me mad sometimes!

Ignore Memoo, you know what you're doing and I'm damn sure you wouldn't overfeed your dd!

Am I right in remembering that dd was a little early and not the heavy weight predicted?
Is she creeping up the centiles now?
The reason I ask is that it could well be that the weight she was born at isn't the weight she was destined to be, iykwim.
She will probably reach her 'line', steady out and then follow that line.

Please don't worry though, follow your instincts - you're a great mum, don't let HCP's undermine you!

memoo Mon 26-Oct-09 17:17:53

DD was on the 50th centile when she was born and is now just above the 75th which is what started the HV off.

My other 2 DC were both on 98th centile from birth so I think there maybe something in what you say plonker, and yes was induced early due to GD

I have absolutly no worries about DD though, probably because she is my 3rd and I'm quite confident about what I'm doing. Dread to think how a first time mum would feel faced with the same.

lal123 Tue 27-Oct-09 19:17:02

well DD2 was weighed today - she's 2 weeks old and since Sunday has put on 5oz, she's now put on 1lb since birth - and the HV and MWs have been saying what a good job she and I are doing - she's exclusively bf. So I'd say your HV is talking bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now