Talk

Advanced search

Could this be a reaction to milk?

(17 Posts)
mantaray Sun 25-Oct-09 21:47:07

DS has been having problems with feeding since day 1.
After a traumatic birth his feeding was very slow and we needed to teach him how to suck and swallow. Breastfeeding went out the window so he was mixed fed from day 3- I pump several times a day and he has formula as well.

We started him on SMA Gold which made him constipated and very windy/colicky. The HV suggested we swap to a 'comfort' formula which we did at 4wks old. This really helped the colic.

But, from about 3wks old his upper body, back, head and face are covered in a red raised rash with blotches. The HV said it was heat rash so we removed a layer of clothing- no change in a week. We wash him with only water and use eco-balls for our washing so no reactions there.
His nappies are like a green sludge and one needs to hold their breath when changing him. DD had 'normal' baby poo, this is very very different- very green, runny and sludge like. His farts can make you choke.

He brings milk after every feed even if we keep him upright.

The worst bit is his screaming. After every feed he just cries and cries. Not once has he ever fallen asleep during a feed. He is barely sleeping in the day (2 x 1 hour naps) and even then the sleep is not deep.

Could this be a reaction to both the formula and the breastmilk? I do have a lot of milk in my diet, plus cheese and a lot of chocolate.

Any ideas on what we can try next? The HV thinks we just need to leave him to cry for 15minutes at a time which will help settle him. I refuse to do this as he seems in pain and wanting comfort. We've looked at the red rash/spots and have now eliminated the heat rash. The green sludge poo doesn't seem good and the crying after all feeds is so hard to listen to.

Many many thanks.

mantaray Sun 25-Oct-09 21:48:36

Forgot to add, he is coming up for 6 weeks old now. His weight is just above the 50% centile and has been since birth so no change there.

foxinsocks Sun 25-Oct-09 21:50:15

yes sounds like a milk allergy

google hives and see if the rash looks like that

I would take him to the doctor on Monday and chat to them about what formula to try next (if that's what the doc thinks it is)

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 21:51:22

Could be a formula reaction, a baby i cared for had a similar list of ailments when she needed a bottle as her mummy had a vomit bug and was 'out of it'.

We moved her to HIPP Organic as it isn't ^added to^ like other formulas and she was very settled.

foxinsocks Sun 25-Oct-09 21:51:50

(you can buy Soya formula but quite a few babes who have a milk allergy also have a soya one so they might want you to skip that and try a hypoallergenic one)

either way, you must get the doc to check out his green poo + the rash (whether it be an allergy or not)

JanJanJanJan Sun 25-Oct-09 21:52:01

Hi, I would speak to your HV tomorrow ans suggest trying him on Goats Milk. My Grandson had a reaction to breast milk and bottled milk. My Daughter tried everything. He is 5 now and if he has any dairy products whatsoever, we know about it. I would try him with an ounce of cool boiled water to try and settle him too. Good Luck.

BertieBotts Sun 25-Oct-09 21:55:33

15 minutes for a newborn??

I second the recommendation to see if you can get a special non-allergenic formula prescribed. Also - it may still be possible to start/restart breastfeeding, mumsnet and breastfeeding counsellors from any of the charities/networks could offer support with that - don't know whether you were aware of that option.

Seona1973 Sun 25-Oct-09 22:11:46

comfort formula does cause green poo and bad wind. This is what the cow and gate website says about comfort milk:

The special ingredients in Cow & Gate Comfort means the consistency of your baby's stools may become looser and greener. Don't worry! This is perfectly normal.

You might also notice your baby has increased wind – especially when you first start feeding with Cow & Gate Comfort. Again, this is nothing to worry about – it's just a sign that your baby's digestive system is beginning to get used to the milk.

p.s. I dont think you are supposed to use goat milk formula now and it is not approved for use in Europe

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 22:12:08

15 minutes crying for a 6 week old shockangry bloody irresponsible.

Crying as you know is his way of saying he's unhappy and that isn't going to change in 15 minutes, stupid,ignorant silly HV.

foxinsocks Sun 25-Oct-09 22:13:45

bloody hell, what is in it that causes green poo?!

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 22:19:29

Fox think it is to do with the 'predigesting' treatment they give it. The babies i used @Comfort@ with have had green poo.

Nannycare is still available ^Seona* they had to take infant off the can in Europe but not in USA or Aus/NZ. The EU decided it was no better than cows milk so ruled infant formula can be cows milk or hypoallergenic based only.

BertieBotts Sun 25-Oct-09 22:21:29

It's the probiotics I think. I haven't had experience of C&G comfort poo myself but I would probably still get it checked out - maybe a HV could at least advise you on whether the poo is normal?

I am sure the GP will be able to advise or refer to a paediatric dietician who will be able to advise on formulas including goat's milk based (which I think you are right about Seona) and hypoallergenic kinds.

ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 26-Oct-09 04:37:49

My ds has nappies like that- is it very runny/projectile? Hvs and gps were useless about it, ended up seeing a paed who said it was an intolerance to something in my diet. Am currently at the elimination stage but dairy and egg are the most common. I'd push for a referral if I were you as gps seem to know little about food intolerances in babies.

Good luck.

JanJanJanJan Mon 26-Oct-09 06:30:46

You learn so much on this site.....I never knew Goats Milk is no longer approved in Europe....you learn something new every day!! Thanks for that.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 26-Oct-09 07:31:09

I sounds exactly like milk intolerance to me. Ask for/demand a prescription for nutramigen/neocate, and cut the dairy out of your own diet.

onemoretimetoday Mon 26-Oct-09 07:51:02

Sounds like milk intolerance to me. You need to see the GP and ask if you can try either nutramigen or pepti as a starting point. If that doesn't work then talk to him about neocate but that's a last resort. The rash sounds like excema. Don't give soy formula, it's not suitable for such young babies and dont give goats, if he's sensitive to animal proteins the goats isn't ideal.

mantaray Mon 26-Oct-09 12:00:28

Thank you for your replies.
I know it was more than 'just heat rash' as the HV said. DS is off to the doctors this afternoon. His face, neck, back, chest and head is just so red and angry looking. His bottom is also very very sore now and the scraming after every feed is just horrid for him.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now