Talk

Advanced search

any ideas? need advice please...

(7 Posts)
pippa251 Sun 25-Oct-09 18:12:59

my 14 week old dd is exclusivly bf and has always fed well. However since wednesday she's been really fussing- refusing the breast and crying loads. She's feeding about 30% less but waking through the night twice (was previously sleeping through). This is really unlike her- she seems so unhappy crying lots and being really fretfl. She's also chewing on everything and drowling- should i call the doctor? her nappies are still regular lots of poos and wees as per usual? any one got any ideas?

MatNanPlus Sun 25-Oct-09 18:37:28

Sounds like teething.

pippa251 Mon 26-Oct-09 06:46:29

i can't see any coming through though- her sleeping is getting worse- up 3 times last night and now she totally refuses a bottle- are these signs?

foxytocin Mon 26-Oct-09 07:06:39

Teething can start long before they appear. Chewing and drooling are signs of teething.

Babies show a lot of changes in their behaviour around this time due to rapid brain development in infancy so a previously sleeping through baby stops - this is normal.

it is normal for a baby who used to accept a bottle to stop.

hang in there.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 26-Oct-09 07:12:31

This sounds like teething, yeah. Also it sounds like 'babies are weird little critters'. She doesn't sound ill. Sympathies, it's hard, when there's clearly something wrong, and you can't do anything to fix it.

pippa251 Mon 26-Oct-09 07:20:26

thanks - i really needed the reassurance- I feel like I'm the living dead! I don't know who cried more yeaterday me or her sad

GhoulsafraidofVirginiaWoolf Mon 26-Oct-09 07:43:13

Oooh that sounds familiar. You can buy a homeopathic powder in sachets from Boots (I'm not sure I really believe in homeopathy but I was desperate). It is a teething thing. It did seem to soothe DD1 who had teething pain for ages before the first one broke through. You could get her checked for ear infections tho I agree with everyone else that it sounds like teething. If she is weeing and pooing OK then that is a good sign. Waking after a period of sleeping through is also normal hmm. I think teething pain is worse at night because there are no distractions. Judicious use of Calpol might give her some relief. I used to give it when DD was absolutely screaming with the pain but obviously not too often. This too will pass.... but that's not much comfort to you now. Oh and she might take a bottle if you leave the house (she can smell your milk if you are in) so take that as a reason to go out and get a break smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now