Talk

Advanced search

Poo colour for a mixed feeding baby (delightful topic I know!) - any advice?!

(2 Posts)
GuardianMummy Sun 25-Oct-09 15:43:59

Hello

This is my second post today! I'm turning into a right little MN-er!

My son is 16 weeks old and is fed half and half with formula and breast milk. I feed him at 7am and at 2pm and he has formula for 11am, 6pm (well, technically that’s half expressed breast milk and half formula mixed up in a bottle) and 11pm feeds.

So, he really is on half and half and his poos are now a bit weird............ When I was exclusively BF-ing him (up until 8-9 weeks), he had started to go longer between poos i.e. about 3 days. This has continued but, recently, it’s extended to 4 days between poos and we even got to day 6 last week! Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about it as he is happy and smiley etc etc and certainly doesn’t appear to be in any way constipated. However, he has started to cry/yelp when he poos and he certainly strains to get them out now. I find it upsetting that he looks upset by the process and am wondering if they are hurting him or if it’s pretty normal for babies to start to get a little more ‘involved’ in the pooing thing rather than them just slipping out (lovely!)

Also, BTW, they are a real mix of dark green (yuck – like duck’s poo really – is that normal?!) which is quite thick and the bright yellow of breast milk poos which are still a little more watery. I think the colour is because the yellow mixes in with whatever colour formula poo would be (!?) but there is also a very clear differentiation between the two poo types! Never the twain shall meet really! Weird!

Anyway – any thoughts welcomed as I’m just a little concerned that I should, in fact, be more worried about the long gap between poos and possibly even that colour......

TIA!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 25-Oct-09 15:57:05

Green poo is often a sign of a tummy upset - normally just a run of the mill virus. Nothing to worry about. However if he is regularly straining, ask the GP for some lactulose to soften the stools, some kids just take a while to get used to pooping I guess - DS did - but after a few months on lactulose he grew out of the problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now