Talk

Advanced search

newborn 5 day old with suspected colic

(12 Posts)
scoutliam Sat 24-Oct-09 23:00:05

Our DD has been unsettled waking up within a few minutes of putting her down she's been feeding approx every hour for 30-40 mins today which is twice as much as yesterday or the day before- she was only born on Monday - she keeps scrunching up her legs and face and appears to be in pain - I've been told the latch is fine.
She's been having lots of wet and dirty nappies today as well.
She's very little (5lbs)
should i express to slow the letdown?
any advice?

tiktok Sat 24-Oct-09 23:02:18

I doubt this is colic, scoutliam...at 5 days old many babies just want to be close to mum and will often wake up within a few minutes of being put down. If she is happy being kept close to you, and near or on the breast, then it's not colic. What do you think?

ib Sat 24-Oct-09 23:03:27

I thought colic only started at 3 weeks?

scoutliam Sat 24-Oct-09 23:05:35

its just that she's not been this unsettled before, she scrunches up her legs. putting her on the shoulder calms her though

LeninGhoul Sat 24-Oct-09 23:06:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGhoul Sat 24-Oct-09 23:07:55

scoutliam Sat 24-Oct-09 23:17:46

Thanks for your replies, I've no idea what I'm doing really as this is my first baby and just don't want to get it wrong.
I've been offering both breasts at feeds which she always goes for, is this the right thing to do?
Also is expressing so early in establishing feeding going to help, assuming I have "fast let down" or will it cause problems?

morocco Sat 24-Oct-09 23:23:52

offering both breasts is good
no need to express if you don't want to (personally would not as it's a hassle) but it's worth knowing how to hand express in case you need to at any point
is she wriggling while feeding? it's quite normal for newborn babies to kick and wriggle while feeding - mine have all squirmed like mad - it's all part of their cool ability to 'breast crawl'.
agree with everyone else about the sling as well

thaliablogs Sat 24-Oct-09 23:24:16

If you have low supply then expressing will help to build supply, esp with a very little baby - they often don't suck very hard when they are so tiny. What makes you think you have a fast let down? I don't see anything in the OP that suggests this? If you do you can express a little to help but not too much or you'll be stimulating the boobs to produce more which is not what you want in that situation.

NB colic is different than wind. Sounds like your daughter may have the latter given her scrunching herself up like that. DO try the 'tiger in the tree' hold (along your arm, tummy down), this can really help windy babies.

scoutliam Sat 24-Oct-09 23:30:37

thank you thaliablogs will try that - didn't know the difference between colic and wind!

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Sat 24-Oct-09 23:36:22

Scout - is she full term?

It sounds normal. tiny babies often sleep so much in the first 2-3 days, and then seem to wake up starving.

Time in bed, lots of skin-to-skin, feed on demand. Wouldn't bother expressing.
Just lie down for a week with her and get to know each other

Congratulations btw. x

LeninGhoul Sat 24-Oct-09 23:40:05

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now