Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

More milk in right breast - can it be corrected?

(6 Posts)
startingagainafter14years Sat 24-Oct-09 15:30:31

Hi everyone.

My right breast is at least triple the size of my left breast! When my 10 day old son latches on the right, I can hear him gulping down lot's of milk with every suck but when he's on the left, he has to do the sucking motion at least 2 or 3 times before I see him swallow.

Various questions:

-Is there some way I can correct this and even the milk in both breasts?
-I always put him on both breasts at every feed but should I be putting him twice as much on the left one?
-Should he go on the left breast first & then on the right? or vice versa?
-How do I know if I'm draining my breast completely before putting him on the other?

Although I don't believe it really has an effect (seeing as my right breast is serving up wonderful supplies)I must add that I have breast implants (under the muscle). I was operated on about 10 years ago. Before the op, my right breast was the size of a developing young girl (I was 25 at the time & had a four year old daughter) & my left was totally undeveloped.
Could it be a problem with milk ducts?

Well, any advice for my left breast will be greatly appreciated!

countrybump Sat 24-Oct-09 15:35:19

Just adding my interest here, as this describes my situation exactly! My DD is now 4 weeks, and seems to be doing fine and getting plenty of milk, but it would be good to be even sized!

linlee Sat 24-Oct-09 19:26:51

I had the same problem, and my DS was never patient enough to deal with the slow boob so I ended up feeding him from one only, far from ideal. Wish you good luck. Here's a link and a great website for all sorts of BFing worries...
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

StillSaneJust Mon 26-Oct-09 08:23:10

I'm in a similar situation, by left is bigger than the right. Not a huge difference but sometimes it can feel pretty big.
Firstly thanks to Linlee for the link, it makes so much sense!
I would add that as you sound like you're just starting with breastfeeding things do take a while to settle, my midwive told me 12 weeks and i agree with that. But if it is a real problem i would try sorting it now, because when you're 9 months and still breastfeeding like me, it all seems like too much effort to change!
Good Luck.

ChocOrange05 Mon 26-Oct-09 10:10:58

My right has always been more plentiful (or at least it feels that way). If I miss a feed for any reason my right breast starts to look noticeably bigger than my left, not such a good look!! grin

startingagainafter14years Fri 30-Oct-09 11:35:03

Yes, thanks Linlee for the link to such a great web page!

I'm just putting him on my smaller breast first everytime and i'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now