Talk

Advanced search

question re EBM storage - fridge/room temp

(4 Posts)
MrsKitty Sat 24-Oct-09 08:34:22

Sorry - I know it's no doubt been done before but don't have time to do archive search (I always get distracted by irrelevant threads and spend hours trawling!)

I know current guidelines say that EBM can be stored in the fridge for something like 8 days or at room temp for 8-10 hrs but here's my query...

If I store EBM gathered throughout the day in the fridge, then remove it from fridge to use, how long can I keep it at room temp for before I need to use or chuck it?

This is basically me being lazy - BFC & GP have told me to offer it as a top up in the night (to aid weight gain) so rather than trekking downstairs to get it when required I'm wondering about taking it up with me when I go to bed and using it later in the night/early hours.

Thanks

joyjac Sat 24-Oct-09 10:01:29

Just-expressed breastmilk can be stored at room temperature for 4 hours ideally, though acceptable up to 6 hours. If you're taking it from the fridge then you have a little extra time.
It does depend a little on how warm your house is. IMHO 10 hours is too long

thaliablogs Sat 24-Oct-09 23:18:08

The time you can store at room temp is longer than you think, but an easy solution if you are concerned is to use a little coolbox and icepack. I pump overnight so this is what I do, works fine, I keep milk in there for up to 12 hours and it stays chilled. One comes with the Medela pump in style or you can buy it separately from expressyourselfmums.co.uk, but a normal coolbox and icepack would work just as well and I imagine you could get them from the supermarket or lakeland or similar.

thaliablogs Sat 24-Oct-09 23:34:07

There's one here for example. The Medela one is a bit sexier as the ice pack is shaped to fit the pumping bottles, but that's really just an added bonus, not necessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now