Talk

Advanced search

please give your advise on night feeding

(6 Posts)
reagizmo Fri 23-Oct-09 19:52:58

i have a beautiful son who is 4wks old. i have been expressing and giving it him in a bottle. i have cut out the expresses apart from the 10pm and 6am so now he is 4wks he has a mixture of formula and breast milk. i give him breast milk at 10pm then he sleeps till 2am then he gets formula then he wakes again at 6am and he has breast again. then formula through the day. he feeds every 4hrs. he has 120mls at each feed wether its breast or formula. i was just wanting advise on how can we make him go a little longer through the night or is it to early for him to be missing out that 2am feed.

please help all advise is good thank you

Seona1973 Fri 23-Oct-09 19:59:40

sounds good for a 4 week old. at 3 weeks both mine fed at least 3 hourly night and day. Does he finish the 120mls? If so, increase the amount you offer in each bottle.

Seona1973 Fri 23-Oct-09 20:00:07

I meant at 4 weeks, not 3!!

reagizmo Fri 23-Oct-09 20:11:09

he does finish it but is a little sick to. we wind him around half way down the bottle then kind of have to force the other half down him. cause he goes sleepy. i've also read that the mid night feed should be less milk so they dont get used to having a big feed in the mid of the night.
do u think we should give him a bit more in the day and cut down the night feed. so he still has the same amount of milk but at differant times.

what age do babies normally go through the night??????

Skillbo Fri 23-Oct-09 21:42:30

Hi Reagizmo

Every baby is different but just to warn you, the sleeping pattern you describe is the same as my DD's and she is 18 weeks.

Having said that, she is ebf and I think they tend to sleep more on ff.

Don't have any advice to get them to sleep longer or I would be using it. Will keep a beady eye peeled to see if anyone comes on here with some top tips!!

thisisyesterday Fri 23-Oct-09 21:45:06

4 weeks is waaay too young to expect him to sleep through the night.
doing 10pm til 2am is bloody amazing actually.

and you shouldn't really be forcing him to take a bottle if he is sleepy/uninterested

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now