Talk

Advanced search

Did a dummy help your bf baby take a bottle?

(8 Posts)
chipmonkey Tue 14-Jun-05 10:53:22

Just interested to know, my aunt is convinced that the reason her ds took a bottle while her dd refused was that her ds had had a dummy while she wouldn't allow her dd to have one. I have 3 ds's, ds1 and ds2 had dummies, ds3 didn't and he's the only one who has refused a bottle. Anyone else have any experience of this?

Hayls Tue 14-Jun-05 10:59:19

In a word, no. Tried everything and dd is now 17 mo and takes a dummy but never took a bottle

Frizbe Tue 14-Jun-05 11:05:08

No, mines a thumb sucker, however we found tommy tippee nuby teats did the trick!

Ruthiebaby Tue 14-Jun-05 11:52:59

I can't remember whether I gave expressed milk from a bottle first or a dummy first. Ds has no problems with breast feeding, expressed milk from a bottle or a dummy.

I also used those silicone nipple covers when breastfeeding at the start due to problems with latching on and really painful nipples. Maybe this helped him to be so versatile ?

chipmonkey Tue 14-Jun-05 14:42:26

ds3 took the bottle with no argument this morning, but if he hadn't I would have considered trying a dummy. But it would be annoying to give him a dummy now when we managed without it for 6 months!

mummy23 Tue 14-Jun-05 18:39:04

I have only just introduced a dummy to my DS, and i have managed to get him to take expressed milk from 7 days old!

I now give him 1 bottle of expressed milk a day (to give me a rest and so that my DP can have a chance to bond with our DS2).

I'm sure if you keep at it, he will take to the bottle soon, i dont think a dummy would make a difference to him taking the bottle!

Good luck and dont give up yet!

chipmonkey Tue 14-Jun-05 22:02:31

mummy23, ds3 has been taking expressed milk from a bottle practically since he was born because he was premature. However he has since decided that he dislikes bottles! I have managed to get him to take it again but only when I withhold the breast for ages so he has no choice. Just that someone here recently said their baby took the bottle after taking a dummy with a similar teat. I wondered if perhaps my unwillingness to give a dummy had backfired on me!

Posey Tue 14-Jun-05 22:23:21

Dd was a very sucky baby, so she had a dummy and then had no problem taking a bottle of expressed milk.
Ds never took to a dummy and I never managed to get him to take a bottle either. Bit of a pain sometimes as he was so reliant on me always being there to feed him, but at least never had the bother of weaning him off it!

So yes, I agree.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: