Talk

Advanced search

feeding difficulties with bottlefed 16 week-old

(6 Posts)
ExistentialistCat Fri 23-Oct-09 12:37:13

I've bottlefed my now 16 week-old DD since she was 6 weeks old. She's tiny - on the very lower end of normal - but alert and smiley. It's no surprise that she's tiny, as she really doesn't eat very much. We often have these rather difficult feeds when she bats the bottle away and cries, then grabs it and sucks very hard for a few swallows, bats it away again, etc. She'll often only have 2 ounces at a feed. In between my attempts at offering her more milk, she'll often grab my hand and bite/suck very hard on my fingers, but there's no sign of any teeth. We've tried infacol and changing teat sizes.

These difficult feeds don't always happen - at other times she takes a whole 7 ounce feed without any problems at all.

She rarely cries for food, even when she's clearly been quite hungry - I usually initiate offering her milk when I notice that she hasn't eaten anything for ages.

Any thoughts? Am I just being an anxious first time mother? Her daddy is tall and very thin and doesn't eat much, after all... It's just so upsetting to see her getting distressed at feeding time.

Thanks for reading, and apologies for the long post!

Ineedmorechocolatenow Fri 23-Oct-09 12:43:21

Have you spoken to your health visitor (presuming you have a nice approachable one)? No experience of this myself, except to say that 16 weeks is classic growth spurt territory and feeds can get very fussy. How are her nappies, are they nice and wet and heavy? Is she doing normal amounts of poo??

BertieBotts Fri 23-Oct-09 12:56:55

It does sound like teething. It can start up to 2 months before the first tooth. Try teething powders - they are homeopathic so if she is not teething they won't do any harm. You can get Nelson's or Ashton & Parson's.

ExistentialistCat Fri 23-Oct-09 13:00:38

Thanks for your thoughts, Ineedmorechocolate

Am due to have DD weighed on Tuesday, so will speak to HV then. These difficulties have been going on for at least 8 weeks, which makes me think it's more than just a growth spurt. HV - although lovely and approachable and v helpful in general - didn't have any ideas other than infacol and changing teat size. We're getting one big poo and plenty of wet nappies each day (which I think is normal?!).

ExistentialistCat Fri 23-Oct-09 13:11:50

Thanks, BertieBotts - sounds worth a try, at least! I did wonder about teething, as DD is VERY dribbly and often pulls at her cheeks (she looks like 'The Scream' when she does it, which is sort of funny and heartbreaking at the same time), but it's been going on so long that I thought it couldn't be. I didn't know that it could be 2 months before there are any actual teeth!

Ineedmorechocolatenow Fri 23-Oct-09 13:19:41

My son teethed from 16 weeks and didn't get any teeth 'til he was 9 months old! In fact, the teething part was a PITA, when the actual teeth came through, he didn't even notice it.

Are you using the right teat for her? I FF DS and he'd get frustrated when we were ready to move up to the next size. DD is 20 weeks and gets really fussy sometimes, but I'm BF her so it's for different reasons.

Good luck with it. As long as the nappies continue as they are and her weight gain is okay there's not much more you can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now