Talk

Advanced search

reusing teats for DD2 - would you??

(12 Posts)
blossom2 Tue 14-Jun-05 08:50:56

Had dd1 over 3 years ago and have loads of teats. should i use them for DD2 (due in a few weeks) or just get new one??? what about dummy too??

Titania Tue 14-Jun-05 08:53:26

i wouldnt reuse them. or bottles tbh. sorry.

hana Tue 14-Jun-05 08:54:30

i would buy new - the packages say to replace every 3 months .....unless they are unopened! ditto for the dummies

flamesparrow Tue 14-Jun-05 08:54:34

I don't think I'd reuse them either... and I normally reuse everything.

Apart from anything else - she's gonna spend her life with handmedowns... new stuff for when she is first born will be nice

hotmama1 Tue 14-Jun-05 08:58:23

I follow the guidelines and replace teats and dummies every 3 months - so I wouldn't resuse. If the bottles are O.K and not scratched etc then I would re-use the bottles - but only if I was really sure that they were fine.

beansmum Tue 14-Jun-05 09:03:23

are you really supposed to replace teats every 3 months? ds has been using the same ones for a year now only a couple of times a week though.

hotmama1 Tue 14-Jun-05 09:08:13

Beansmum - every 3 months is the guideline (could just be a marketing ploy to buy more stuff ). I think this is for hygiene reasons but they may get old and cracked if they don't get used for a while?

blossom2 Tue 14-Jun-05 09:23:18

thanks for the advice ladies. all the more shopping for me!!! the bottles still look in good condition so will reuse those.

many thanks

chipmonkey Tue 14-Jun-05 10:39:29

beansmum, I'm sure that 3 months is probably based on using them all the time, so your teats are probably fine!

beansmum Tue 14-Jun-05 10:45:15

ah well, he's not getting any new ones now! I had zillions of them so each one has probably only been used 4-5 times.

busyalexsmummy Tue 14-Jun-05 10:45:39

tbh, as long as you are vigilant when cleaning your teats, you can use them for longer than 3months, the guidlines are estimating wear and tear on the teat, oviously a baby with teeth will get through teats a lot quicker than one without any teeth as they tend to chew the end of the teats. Just make sure you check every time you use them for signs of holes/tears.
as for reusuing for next baby, no as both silicone and latex deteriate over time. I would use bottles again but only if theyve been used for say less than 3 months with dd1-at the end of the day bottles arent that expensive and like others have said dd2 will probably end up getting alot of handmedowns so a few new bottles probably isnt much to ask eh?

suedonim Tue 14-Jun-05 11:04:12

I think there was a concern over reusing bottles in that if they were scratched/damaged chemicals could leak out from the plastic. Glass ones are okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now