Talk

Advanced search

Month old baby - night feeding question

(5 Posts)
Iamamumma Fri 23-Oct-09 09:06:37

Hi Ladies, my LO is a month old today and has been pretty good at sleeping at night, usually only waking up around 3am or so, or sometimes again at 6am. Last night she started doing a little cry, hic hic at 2.15am, and usually when she makes a noise at night I jump up and rush off to feed her (am BF'ing), but was in a deep sleep last night, so took me a min to wake up, by the time I had sat up, she had gone back to sleep. So I thought I would leave her until she cried again. She did the one cry, hic hic again at 2.50am, 3.40am. Then at 4am she cried properly, like she would during the day if she was hungry, so I fed her then. The question is (if you have bothered to read this far!!) is it ok to leave her until 4am or should I feed her as soon as she starts to grizzle, or is she ok to go a bit longer than 3hrs now between feeds? She has a bottle of EBM in the evenings between 10-11pm. She has been doing really well, was 8lb 14 at birth and is now 10lb 5, so good weight gain.

Thanks for reading! smile

belgo Fri 23-Oct-09 09:26:07

It sounds like she's doing fine, lucky you! If she just 'hics' and then goes back to sleep, I wouldn't wake her up until she awakes properly to feed.

The only exception to this would be if she was ill or not gaining weight , but it sounds like she is gaining weight well.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 23-Oct-09 09:28:36

I wouldn't be too worried about her - how is your supply? I only ask because, going from whenever you give the last direct (not EBM) feed, to 4am without feeding might reduce your supply. If you express in there, or if your supply is great, then I wouldn't worry at all.

Ineedmorechocolatenow Fri 23-Oct-09 10:03:08

Lucky you! I agree with the others. I didn't let DD go more than 3 hours between feeds in the day, but would let her dictate her night feeds. She would cluster feed all evening, and then do some healthy 4-5 hour gaps at night at 4 weeks.....

Make the most of the sleep smile

Iamamumma Fri 23-Oct-09 14:39:40

Thanks ladies for the advice. I think my supply is pretty good, I felt very full this morning at 4am and again at 7am when we got up again. She seems to be very sleepy and not that intersted in the morning, so I express then too at 7am, then feeds around 10am, 2pm, 5pm and then basically cluster feeds until I go to bed at 9pm after I express again, then DH gives her the bottle before bed. He said last night he gave her the bottle at 10pm, to that was a very long stretch! I think I will see how tonight goes (see if it is a one off!) and then see if I need to express again in the night.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now