Talk

Advanced search

Moved from breast to bottle and DS is projectile vomiting

(12 Posts)
suwoo Thu 22-Oct-09 13:05:33

Have had to start mixed feeding with DS due to his lack of weight gain. He is having Hipp Organic 1st milk and is guzzling it. He is 12 weeks and on the .4th centile. This morning he has had 2 small breast feeds and 18 oz of formula shock. He has just projectile vomited all over the kitchen floor, it came through his nose and everything sad.

He also did this on Tuesday eve which was his first day on formula. Is it just because he is guzzling it? Its most upsetting, particurly due to my whole back story.

Any advice?

suwoo Thu 22-Oct-09 13:28:18

Please............

<<worried>>

hanaflower Thu 22-Oct-09 13:32:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haventsleptforayear Thu 22-Oct-09 13:37:07

Hi suwoo.

I know nothing about bottle feeding but it does sound like too much at once.

At this age it seemed like my friends' ff babies were spacing out feeds by 4 hrs - but I may be totally wrong.

Agree with slower teat too (will also help you to continue bf longer because it makes the bottle feeding harder - I mixed fed DS1 for a year.

suwoo Thu 22-Oct-09 13:39:04

Its a slow flow teat. He is crying for milk after 2 hours but he is used to 2 hourly bf. If I take it out of his mouth to wind him he cries.

haventsleptforayear Thu 22-Oct-09 13:40:21

I think you need to wind him half-way through -it sounds like he is swallowing air.

He will cry because you don't normally take them off the breast.

Try winding him or changing his nappy in the middle to slow him down.

mylovelymonster Thu 22-Oct-09 13:40:52

agree with everything said so far -
in addition, I found it really useful to wind DD before every feed (is amazing how much air they swallow just 'being') and if a big feed, maybe winding mid-feed also.

suwoo Thu 22-Oct-09 13:43:42

Ok will try those things. Good idea about winding him before, thanks.

Anyone know about the tommee tippee closer to nature teats? He is sucking the teat in on itself, I actually thought he may need a faster one but wanted to keep him on the slow one to mimic bf as much as possible.

ZippysMum Thu 22-Oct-09 14:31:30

hi suwoo,
I've never used those TT teats but I read on another thread that they turn in on themselves if the baby's mouth is over the anti-colic valve / hole. Does that make any sense? smile

suwoo Thu 22-Oct-09 14:39:28

Potentially yes it does, I will pay more attention when feeding him. Thanks Zippysmum smile

roslily Thu 22-Oct-09 16:07:17

I use them and you need to have anti-colic valve at top. My ds has recently been moved from breast to bottle. I still feed him on demand, and sometimes it is 2 hours and sometimes 4.

I wind half way through, although I used to have to do that on breast- he is very windy! Although my ds projectile vomited on the boob!

mrsjuan Thu 22-Oct-09 16:08:22

Hi Suwoo -
We use the TT bottles - DD is still on the slow flow teat at 5months. She used to suck the teat in on itself when we started but doesn't happen now. They also do a variflow one but she sucks so hard she can't keep up!

You need to keep the valve on the top, by his nose apparently.

I would think that he will stop guzzling so much after a while as he gets used to the new sensation of the bottle & will start spacing is feeds out a bit too.

Would it work if you aimed to give him a bottle at 3 hour intervals and then if he cried in between times offer the breast instead for a quick drink?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now