Talk

Advanced search

Citalopram and breast feeding.

(8 Posts)
stareyes76 Thu 22-Oct-09 11:59:57

hello please can you help me???? im currently taking 20mg of Citalopram for pre natal and reactive depression and my midwife has said and dr has hinted that it is not recommended to breast feed on them. im feeling very very guilty about it and am wondering if anyone has any answers. or something to relax me.

my husband keeps telling me that there may be away of changing tablets (the doc didn't really say much about this but is not convinced) or that i may be able to still feed her even on the tablets as he has looked into it online and it has said that it is a very small amount that passed on. i know he is just trying to ease my mind.

sorry guys kinda freaking out

needtomoveon Thu 22-Oct-09 12:06:25

Here is the Breastfeeding Network on antidepressants. As you can see it has been written by a registered pharmacist. Would it be worth showing this to your GP and midwife? I am a bit shock they are "hinting". Can they not find out (grr, NICE guidelines etc). Their job is to provide you with good care and not leave you in a quandary. There is a phone number you can ring too 0844 4124 665. If it turns out Citalopram is not suitable (maybe because you are on other meds) then there are probably alternatives.

Good luck smile

stareyes76 Thu 22-Oct-09 12:12:16

im not on anything else. thanks i will have a read. my midwife is a load of...... she talks down to me like im a little girl with this but its just such a hassel to change midwifes. will only see her for another few weeks anyway as im 28 weeks now.

HeinzSight Thu 22-Oct-09 12:13:15

I have been taking Sertraline whilst bf and did A LOT of research and this was checked vigorously on my behalf by my therapist. Lots of Mums here have taken Sertraline and bf too.

HeinzSight Thu 22-Oct-09 12:14:39

also, the pills you're on are SSRIs, Sertraline is an SSRI too. I was told it was relatively easy to change from one to another.

HTH

stareyes76 Thu 22-Oct-09 12:20:38

we did lots of research on sertraline and while i would be happy taking it after birth i don't wanna take it now. i don't feel comfortable taking it. the doctor said there is a possiblilty of changeing onto something else when giving birth but he is not 100%.

its all confusing really.

needtomoveon Thu 22-Oct-09 15:55:22

Have you been referred to the Maternal Mental Health team at your maternity unit (if there is one)? I was first time round because of a long-past depressive episode. You really shouldn't be left to sort this out on your own - I'm not trying to patronise you. I just think you need proper information to help you decide what to do. The internet is great for giving you some of that but you also need to talk it over with a medical professional who is sympathetic and has your notes in front of them so you can be confident in your decision. The other place you can try is the Pregnancy and Birth Line 0300 330 0772.

stareyes76 Thu 22-Oct-09 16:11:36

im not that good at the internet so im glad you ahve pointed me in thr right direction there. as for the professional thing my midwife has just said we don't recommend it where as the doctor has said we will think about it later. i will try and call those lines and see what they say.

your not patronising me. promise. its nice to be informed and to have the advice of someone who has been through it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now