Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What has happened to my super boob?!

(9 Posts)
mrsjuan Thu 22-Oct-09 09:52:06

There's a sentence I never thought I'd say blush

My right breast has always been much better in terms of supply than the left. I used be able to express double the amount.

But for the past couple of days I can only express from it if I am constantly squeezing and massaging it. It still feels fuller than the left and I do eventually get a decent amount out but it is a bit of a pain.

I am down to just 2 expressing sessions a day now (DD mostly bottle fed due to mega fussiness & crappy weight gain) so was expecting supply to drop but the milk still seems to be there - just not coming out without a fight!

WobblyPig Thu 22-Oct-09 19:48:14

How old is your baby - I found this happened to me around 4 months.

LatinDAISYcal Thu 22-Oct-09 19:56:48

Are you expressing AND feeding as well or just expressing?

If just expressing, twice a day isn't enough to maintain a good supply. IIRC you need to be pumping at least eight times a day.

Also, are you expressing at the same time each day or different times. I know from my experience of expressing that it was better if I stuck to the same time every day; your body gets used to being in demand at that time.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along to help soon.

mrsjuan Thu 22-Oct-09 21:01:24

Baby is 5 months now - I am just expressing (plus occasional night feeds). I am slowly ramping down the expressing (used to do 6 x) so now she only has 1 bottle of EBM per ay & the rest is formula. I know supply will drop but I'm curious as to why the right boob suddenly needs so much coaxing whereas the left is still plodding on as usual!

LatinDAISYcal Thu 22-Oct-09 21:05:50

Not sure mrsjuan, one would expect that the least productive boob would drop quicker.

there isn't a blockage there is there?

mrsjuan Thu 22-Oct-09 21:16:07

I am soooo stupid.

I have just swapped the suckers over (double electric pump) and it appears that there is something up with the one I have been using on the right. Not sure what as yet but at least I know it's not me.

<hits head & hides behind sofa in embarrassment>

LatinDAISYcal Thu 22-Oct-09 21:19:33

lol mrsjuan grin

at least you have an answer smile

TheProvincialLady Thu 22-Oct-09 21:26:28

Is it a Lactaline pump? If you get a tiny hole in the tubes it stops the suction. You need a new tube, but in the meantime you can locate the hole and cut the tube at that point.

mrsjuan Fri 23-Oct-09 07:47:09

No it's a medela. But it does have tubes so I'll see if I can find a hole. Can't see anything else that's wrong.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now