Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

MAM bottles

(8 Posts)
lucyfer2000 Wed 21-Oct-09 17:18:07

Does any one use MAM bottles?

I bought one for topping up my otherwise breast fed baby with a bit of formula at night time. The first time that I put the formula into the bottle and went to give it to him, he sucked on it and loads of bubbles appeared in the bottle and the teat. Is this how the anti colic valve works or have I put the bottle together wrong????

I immediately stopped feeding him with it because i was terrified that i would just be feeding him frothy milk that would fill his little tummy up with bubbles!! But is this how it stops the air going in to him??

I am using an old avent bottle at the moment but would much rather use the MAM one if it works because it is BPA free.

Any one with MAM experience?

thisisyesterday Wed 21-Oct-09 17:21:01

i have used them ande never experienced that

thisisyesterday Wed 21-Oct-09 17:21:28

well, it may have done it, but not to as I noticed iyswim?

mamadiva Wed 21-Oct-09 17:32:06

A friend used them and that never happened, or again noone noticed if it did.

Closer To nature bottles (tommee tippee) are a god send and also BPA free if you decide to change.

JaMmRocks Wed 21-Oct-09 19:06:00

I use them if I give EBM, but haven't noticed bubbles. That's not to say they aren't there though. I would have assumed it was how they worked though, pushing the air back up into the bottle IYSWIM? Could be totally wrong though, sorry not much help

duende Wed 21-Oct-09 19:59:52

the air should not be going back into the milk, I don't think. I am using dr brown's and there is no air bubbles in the milk when DS is feeding.
when i was using tommee tippee anti colic bottles there was plenty of bubbles visible in the milk and DS had loooots of wind.
new dr brown's bottles are BPA free. I think they are called B-free and mothercare sell them.

NellyTheElephant Thu 22-Oct-09 10:08:20

I use them for my DC3 (for 1st 6 months with EBM a couple of times a week, but now full time). I haven't noticed any bubbles while he is sucking though, so not sure about that. They do make a funny sound though as the air sucks in the back. I find that DS will suck and suck and suck (no bubbles or air in the milk), but when he stops sucking for a break I do notice bubbles going back through the teat quite vigorously - could that have been what it was - i.e. it bubbled through when he stopped sucking? I have to say that of all the bottles and teats I have used over the years with DS and the girls (including Avent, 2 types of Tommee Tippee, including the closer to nature ones, Nuk) I think that these MAM ones are the best, I don't know why, they just seem so easy for DS to drink from.

If you put the MAM bottles together wrong then they leak, so if they are not leaking I think you must have done it right. This might sound ridiculous, but put some water in the bottle and suck it yourself - see if bubbles appear when you suck (in which case something is wrong with it) or just when you stop sucking.

lucyfer2000 Thu 22-Oct-09 12:51:49

Thanks for all your advice. Yes nelly the bottle did make a wierd wooshy sound - which is definitely part of what freaked me out when i fed him!! and maybe it was when he had a break that the bubbles appeared. I shall try it out myself this afternoon!! If i'm still having trouble I might try the Dr Browns as DS is having windy probs at the mo...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now