Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody taken Movicol laxative whilst breastfeeding ?

(8 Posts)
Leenie Wed 21-Oct-09 10:31:49

I had an Anal sphincterotomy yesterday,shock
so have been prescribed movicol to ease passing motions whilst the stitches heal, the nurse told me not to breastfeed for a couple of days, and actually was very of the opinion that i could use the opportunity to stop as my DS is 14 mths, i have been up through the night with DS crying and trying to pull of my top as he doesnt understand why he can't feed, he would not take a bottle for me yet he often takes a bottle in the day,problem is, not only am i struggling with the pain in my back passage (stiches are killing me)blush, but my boobs are throbbing and i dont have a breast pump to relieve it, Basically i don't want to be stopping if i don't have to, i have tried to look it up but the responses aren't really conclusive, has any one else taken this whilst breastfeeding please !

moaningminniewhingesagain Wed 21-Oct-09 10:38:33

I looked it up for you too - 'Manufacturer states use only if essential' during breastfeeding.

Now that is a long way from saying that it is harmful or passes into the milk in significant quantities. As always it's your choice but I would happily feed in these circs.hth

NotQuiteCockney Wed 21-Oct-09 10:38:49

Ouch, sorry to hear about your operation, hope it helps!

Most drugs are safe while breastfeeding - and a laxative shouldn't be leaving your GI tract, iyswim, so shouldn't end up in your milk.

A quick search shows me some text saying 'we don't know, so you can't sue us, nyah nyeah!'. I think it would be fine, but will dig more.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 21-Oct-09 10:41:08

Looking more, the drug works by sucking up water in your gut - it doesn't pass into your bloodstream, never mind into your milk. The active ingredient is macrogol. [url=http://www.tg.org.au/etgdemo/tgc/plg/breastfeedingm.htm]This[/url] page says macrogol is compatible with breastfeeding.

It's good you don't want to stop, you and your son have had enough disruption, why go through stopping breastfeeding now, too.

thegrowlygus Wed 21-Oct-09 10:42:26

Well - the BNF (british national formulary) says "manufacturer advises avoid unless essential" - which generally means that they haven't done the studies to say whether it is safe or not in breast feeding. In terms of the movicol itself - it is an osmotic laxative so it stays in the bowel and draws water in (essentially) so you shouldn't be absorbing any of it to pass on in breast milk. I think the worry is that because it can cause changes in your blood salts, that added to breast feeding which can dehydrate too might make you a bit peaky.

SO all in all - what about lactulose instead?!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 21-Oct-09 10:43:37

Kellymom also says it's ok - they say it barely enters your bloodstream, so should be fine. Movicol is macrogol, which is polyethlene glycol.

The earlier link is here.

Leenie Wed 21-Oct-09 10:57:22

Thank you all so much for the feedback, i am going up to feed right now, lol, and he will not be coming off until they are empty,lol, so i hope he is thirsty !!grin

NotQuiteCockney Wed 21-Oct-09 11:15:31

Glad to be able to help. Bon appetit to your little one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now