Talk

Advanced search

5 week old started being sick after feeds - stupid question alert

(12 Posts)
ZippysMum Wed 21-Oct-09 07:22:51

What's the difference between normal baby sick (my mum calls it 'posseting' hmm), reflux and pyloric stenosis?

My DS has started bringing up milk after feeds and choking on it if he's lying down - is this normal? Yesterday it happened an hour after he'd been fed.

This morning he had a good feed (he's breastfed, don't know if that's relevant here), then brought up quite a bit (about an eggcup full in one go) of milk.

Normal? And how do I stop him choking on it if it happens when he's in his cot and I'm not right there?

Thanks in advance.

olivo Wed 21-Oct-09 08:42:12

zippy, i think you should check with your hv or gp - it could be reflux, especially if its not directly after a feed. both my dds have had it. DD2 is 9 weeks and vomits in the night, usually through her nose - she has learnt to turn her head if she does so it comes out.also, make sure the cot is propped up at one end. it is horrible but there are meds to treat it.
good luck

ZippysMum Wed 21-Oct-09 08:54:41

Thanks olivo. Yes, he did vomit through his nose, which I think must have been painful, and I think he also inhaled a bit sad.

I am used a wedge to prop him up a bit last night and he did seem more comfy.

What is the treatment for reflux? Anything over the counter that helps your DD?

ladylush Wed 21-Oct-09 09:48:08

Gps usually prescribe infant gaviscon to begin with. Babies being sick after feeds is not always reflux. It is more common when the vomitting happens between feeds (vomit is acidic). However, some babies have silent reflux and are never sick. I'd advise you to see your G.P. Any other symptoms of reflux? Such as arching of neck, crying during feeds, dislike of being put to sleep on back etc.

LeninGhoul Wed 21-Oct-09 09:52:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeninGhoul Wed 21-Oct-09 09:53:46

ZippysMum Wed 21-Oct-09 10:25:46

Thanks all.

Yes, he sometimes pulls away from the breast and screams when feeding.

Yes he arches his back/neck and screams sometimes, often seemingly out of the blue - like he is suddenly in pain . This happens also when he is asleep.

He is more comfortable upright.

He and his brother (he is a twin) love to suck - very keen on their dummies - especially when they seem to be suffering from this 'pain'.

But it has only started in the past few days. Does it come on suddenly like this?

We have slings - will make better use of them.

Did infant gaviscon work for you, or are we better off keeping the boys upright etc and hoping they grow out of it soon?

Thanks again.

olivo Wed 21-Oct-09 10:52:31

my DDs' both came on quite suddenly, zippy. with dd1, it was more vomiting and weightloss; infant gaviscon sorted her out and it went around 5 months, having started around 5 weeks. DD2 is more acid and gaviscon hasnt worked; we are 5 days into domperidone which seems to be easing it a bit. both were prescribed by hospital / GP, though i think you might be able to get gaviscon from pharmacy if you say HV recommended, not sure though.
definitely get them upright when you can - DD2 sleeps on her left side propped up by rolled up towels, for naps, if i am there to watch her. i know this isn't recommended but it works for us.

LeninGhoul Wed 21-Oct-09 10:55:37

LeninGhoul Wed 21-Oct-09 10:57:59

ladylush Wed 21-Oct-09 12:11:41

Dd's suspected reflux improved with infant gaviscon but at that time I was giving expressed breast milk so it was easy to mix it with her feed. When I switched over to bf we stopped the gaviscon as she refused to have it with water. However, a week or so after the switch I noticed there was an improvement and she is no longer bringing up digested milk though still vomits at least once a day. Dd's reflux started at around 3-4 weeks of age. I also found that putting dd on her side to sleep and making sure she is upright as much as possible after feeds helped a lot. If I were you I would see your G.P for a diagnosis even though it does sound like reflux. Good idea to be cautious before going down the medication route iyswim.

ZippysMum Wed 21-Oct-09 18:41:09

Ok, thanks everyone.

We've propped the cot and I will make sure he stays upright and see how we go for a few days before we go to the Doc for meds. He's only been sick once today out of 6 feeds so far.

Many thanks for all the advice - it's so awful to see them in pain and I hope we can make it a bit better for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now