Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

please help - wind is making life a misery

(11 Posts)
olivo Tue 20-Oct-09 08:21:59

DD2 is 9 weeks and has been suffering from reflux since 3 weeks. She was given gaviscon, which seemed to stop the vomiting but not the mid-feed acid. it also gave her horrendous wind. The dr then gave her domperidone last week, which seems to stop the acid and reduces the vomiting, but she continues to have wind. it keeps us both up in the night and i am exhausted, as is she, probably! She burps well during and after feeds - i am exc bf - but she spends hours trying to squeeze out the bottom wind. she also seems constipated. i've tried cooled boiled water but she wont really take it.

can anyone offer any suggestions, please?

duende Tue 20-Oct-09 10:12:52

i have heard that gaviscon can cause constipation. I would say persevere with the water, even if she only takes a couple of sips at a time, if it adds up to a couple of fl oz a day it should really help her. (this is what happened with my DS when we changed his formula to enfamil AR to help with his reflux.)
I have heard that probiotic drops are very good in regulating bowel movements and generally improving the digestive system and helping it mature. you can try googling biogaia drops, I think they are available from one online chemist in the UK.
good luck!

Twit Tue 20-Oct-09 10:17:03

I can only recommend weak fennel tea, given as you would water. It is good for wind.
How about if you drink something like peppermint tea or fennel tea? I'm not sure if it would work I expect some one else could tell you that.

olivo Tue 20-Oct-09 18:02:17

thanks, have been on the fennel tea myself, had forgotten you can give it to them too. will also check out the probiotics. i normally take those myself too - not sure if that would benefit DD?
she's taken a bit of water this afternoon and done a tiny poo.

Lobyd Tue 20-Oct-09 18:12:54

I'm afraid I have nothing helpful to say, but I am in the same boat and I will be trying those tips so thanks all! My DD wakes for hours in the night with trapped wind, were on day 1 of domperimone so fingers crossed...Hope things look up for you, it's awful knowing they're so sore isn't it?

roslily Tue 20-Oct-09 18:35:02

My mum suggested fennel tea- apparentely she used to give it to me as a baby.

I have been using dentinox, which helps my ds get his burps up, as he struggles with that, but not the other end. We haven'r had the constipation yet with gaviscon.

olivo Tue 20-Oct-09 19:59:49

lobyd, hope you have some success - if you find something that works, be sure to come and tell me please!

PolarMummy Tue 20-Oct-09 21:50:03

Olivo, does your DD feed comfortably at the beginning of a feed or does she glup and pull off your breast? The reason I ask is that I have discovered that I have a fast let down which DS can't cope with so at the beginning of feeds he was taking in a lot of air while gluping the milk, so now I am expressing a little at the beginning of a feed to get past let let down and then attaching him and it is definately helping. You do need to be careful doing this as it can be counterproductive in someways stimulating you to produce more milk but as long as you only express a little it should be fine. Thought it was worth mentioning anyway.

olivo Wed 21-Oct-09 08:45:23

hi polarmummy. i do have a fast let down - i tend to let dd suck and then take her off and let the milk spurt into a muslin until it is manageable for her. never tried hand expressing, is that what you do? sounds like it is worth a try.

Lobyd Wed 21-Oct-09 16:18:05

Oooh I have a fast let down too...sounds like it might have something to do with it..

I have tried what you do Olivo but not expressing, well worth a go I think!Thanks

Lobyd Tue 27-Oct-09 18:12:23

So how is everyone doing? have ditched domperidone for gavison and colief - this is a real pain to administer but think i'm seeing some signs of improvement...

GP also told me it tends to go from around 9 weeks so might not be too mcuh longer...hope your DCs are doing better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now