Talk

Advanced search

Help me please day from hell today.

(12 Posts)
Cometrickortreatingwithme Mon 19-Oct-09 18:55:57

DD is 20 weeks she is not ill (although sucking her fingers more than usual so maybe teething).

She had a sleep at 10am until 11am and has been awake ever since she wants to be held all the time and will happily giggle and interact when you hold her.

She is feeding but is screaming at the boob and pulling herself off and latching back on again.

My friend came round while she was screaming and has now made me feel a bit hmm by saying that I should put her on solids as I am probably not satisfying her anymore .

She will not give into sleep.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 19-Oct-09 19:05:55

She's poorly or unhappy about something. Introducing solids is unlikely to fix that.

Deep breaths, and a big :-P at your friend.

policywonk Mon 19-Oct-09 19:07:42

Sorry you're having a bad day of it. It can be very exhausting and emotionally draining when they just won't be put down!

Your friend isn't being helpful and you should probably just ignore her in this instance - the best advice is not to introduce solids until 6 months. You're nearly there - no sense in risking later health problems for the sake of four weeks.

It sounds as though she might be coming down with something, or have a painful tummy for some reason? Mine were always particularly hard work in the day or two before a cold or something appeared.

Could you give her her bath (or whatever her usual pre-sleep routine is), and then drive her around in the car for a bit, or go for a long walk with her well wrapped up in the buggy? She might go to sleep this way.

policywonk Mon 19-Oct-09 19:08:20

<blimey NQC, not seen you for aaages!>

Drooper Mon 19-Oct-09 19:10:18

Sorry about your rough day smile.

I think if she looks healthy and has been growing ok, then she is getting enough from you. Have you noticed any changes to her feeding lately?

Could be she is having a growth spurt and all this pulling off and latching back on is to frequent feed and boost your supply.

More likely is that she is teething or has a bit of ear ache or something that is unsettling her.

Try going out for a walk with her and see if a change of scene does the trick. Or calpol if she seems in pain or has a temp.

Good Luck

TheOldestCat Mon 19-Oct-09 19:16:14

Oh poor you. I remember my DD doing something like this and it was definitely teething related around the five months mark. It passed in a couple of days.

Your DD could be a bit under the weather - perhaps she's got a sore throat so the feeding is hurting a bit? Keep an eye on her temperature and don't worry too much as she seems happy.

Agree with the others - a change of scene might help. If you can try getting out tomorrow. Whatever it is, and it's probably just one of those things, just try to go with it. And ignore your friend!

Hope you have a good evening and she sleeps well.

1stMrsF Mon 19-Oct-09 19:34:44

Sounds like my DT2, now 24 weeks, had bout of teething at the same time as a growth spurt just recently. Just the same, pulling off to scream, but wanted to feed all the time. She still does it a bit on days when teething is particularly bad, but it's better since the growth spurt is over. Unlikely to be that she's not satisfied I'd think, otherwise she'd be feeding rather than pulling away. Stick with it, ignore 'helpful friend' and hope it gets better for you soon. If you think she is teething you could try a dose of Calpol to get a good sleep tonight for both of you? Mine munches hard on my finger when I put in her mouth (as against sucks finger if hungry...)

Hope things improve tomorrow

Cometrickortreatingwithme Mon 19-Oct-09 20:01:02

Thankyou all we have had a lovely bubble bath together and I gave her a baby massage.
She has had a lovely long feed and is now chatting away to herself and sucking her fingers while sat in her chair grin.

I'm not going to introduce solids yet I was just a bit upset with my friend for been a bit of a loon silly.

Thanks for all the advice.

DawnAS Tue 20-Oct-09 20:25:01

Hi there,

I'm not BF, but I did have a chat with someone the other day about teething because my LO was doing the same with a bottle.

The health professional said to me that even before the teeth appear, they begin to move around under the gums, which can be really uncomfortable for the LOs, particularly when shaping their mouths around a nipple or teat. She said that they will basically take the bare minimum to relieve their appetite but may want to feed more frequently and in small amounts.

It does sound like your LO may be having this problem...

HTH

xx

comewhinewithme Thu 22-Oct-09 19:39:01

Thankyou Dawn it does help we have had a couple of good days but she does keep running her tongue over her gums and looking grumpy grin.

Ineedmorechocolatenow Thu 22-Oct-09 20:00:16

20 week old teether here too. Teetha granules help DD, and Bongela too... It's tough isn't it? Good luck smile

Skillbo Fri 23-Oct-09 22:26:47

Just in case you weren't sure, sounds like it's definitely teething.

Got exactly the same symptoms here - crying whilst trying to eat (pulls at the old heart strings something chronic). Sounds like you got it sorted in the end - sometimes they just like a lot bit of attention!

My MIL is of the school where anything a bit out of the ordinary means my DD is starving and needs weaning. I'm of the 'wing it for a bit' school grin and if it doesn't pass in a couple of days, worry then!

Hope it eases for you and your lo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now