Talk

Advanced search

What's different about Hungry Baby formula?

(4 Posts)
lechatnoir Mon 19-Oct-09 14:57:57

I've been advised to try my totally FF DS (17wks) on hungry baby formula but wanted to know whether there is any reason why this is a bad idea? What's added or different to make it fill them up more than conventional formula?

To pre-empt the question of why, he's started waking in the night for feeds again after a month sleeping through & is getting hungry after each feed much sooner (has been feeding roughly every 3 hours but is now more like 2-2.5 and taking 6-7oz) I can't physically get more milk into him and it's obviously too early to start weaning so it does sound like a sensible option but wanted to find out what I'm feeding him first.

Thanks in advance.
LCN

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Mon 19-Oct-09 15:24:39

Generally, it contains roughly the same calorific content but is formulated to take longer to digest (so that in theory it fills the baby up for longer). So the sort of baby for whom it might be suggested would be one who was putting on weight well but still wanting to feed more frequently.

IIRC some people have found that it seems to create upset tummies so isn't necessarily a shortcut to sleeping for longer -- but equally it works for some.

moaningminniewhingesagain Mon 19-Oct-09 15:25:31

I understand it's not that it fills then up more, it's got a different balance of ingredients which mean it takes longer to digest.

With DD (FF from 13w) I was advised that if they were taking a full bottle every two hours of first milk, then changing to hungry baby milk is an option. IIRC she was 14-16 weeks when I changed over. Seems like a better idea than early weaning, if you want to try it I was advised to give the new milk in the mornings first so that if it doesn't suit them, eg they seem to have tummy ache etc then you are not up all night with a grumpy baby. hth.

ShowOfHands Mon 19-Oct-09 15:28:45

They go through a growth spurt around this time so sometimes genuinely need more milk for a short time as opposed to something they find harder to digest.

I've heard a few tales of them causing poorly tummies too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now