Talk

Advanced search

I want to drop a feed, should I do it? how?

(8 Posts)
beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 09:58:43

ds is 12 1/2 months and bfed 3-4 times a day, morning, 2pm, and then twice in the evening. I love feeding him and want to carry on for ages yet, but I'd quite like to cut out the 2pm feed soon. I want to be able to wear dresses this summer!

How do I know if he needs it or if he's ready to drop it? And how do I go about dropping it if he doesn't need it? I think if I just left it up to him to wean himself he would still be feeding 4 times a day when he starts school!

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 10:34:13

?

Tommy Mon 13-Jun-05 10:36:20

The way I did it with DS2 at the same age was just to be "busy" one day and not get round to feeding him - or just give him a beaker of milk after lunch and not make a big fuss about it.

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 10:42:39

Yes,just drop it! He loves it but I'm sure he dosn't need it nutritionally speaking.
Know how you feel-my 11 month old gave up three days ago,his choice not mine. Got some nice new clothes to celebrate,put a new outfit on today and he promptly threww up on my sleeve (he never throws up!)

Grrrrrr!

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 10:44:26

I actaully thought he had dropped it himself, had a few days where he ddin't ask for it and I didn't offer, but then he went back to normal again.

Will he need milk in some other form, or if I offer water during the day and just make sure he gets tons of milk in his meals would that be ok?

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 10:45:11

actually.didn't.

moondog Mon 13-Jun-05 10:47:39

Mine has hardly b/fed from 8 months and has never drunk milk (same as his sister). They have lots of yoghurt,milk on cereal and cheese.Truss yourself into a pretty dress so that he can't break in!

beansmum Mon 13-Jun-05 10:57:25

I feel a bit guilty wanting to drop this feed, there's really no reason not to carry on, and when I thought he had dropped it himself I was so upset! I don't think he needs it though. Will wait until the weekend and then make sure we are busy all day, if he complains I'll just offer him a cup of water or milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now