Talk

Advanced search

Milk and solids for a large 8 month old

(4 Posts)
laumiere Mon 19-Oct-09 09:50:56

Hi all,

DS2 was exclusively BF until 7 months but was having solids 2-3 times a day from about 5.5 months. He was getting on really well with purees and a bit of BLW but then I got a new job which meant transitioning him onto FF (well follow on milk, which he preferred).

Now he prefers the bottle to food, and will only take 8-10 mouthfuls of anything before crying for a bottle (he drinks 4-5 7oz bottles a day). Should I be concerned? He's got 2 fully through bottom teeth and his top teeth are coming through now.

Drooper Mon 19-Oct-09 19:03:43

Did he used to have more food than this?

Is he on finger foods yet? He may be a bit bored with what he's eating, so worth offering him a variety of finger foods, then maybe a yoghurt or other second course.

I think he is probably having just what he can cope with at the moment.

Would it be worth offering him water in a beaker with his lunch instead of milk if you think he is filling up on milk. As an average, he only needs about a pint of milk a day as a minimum.

laumiere Mon 19-Oct-09 19:42:15

He ate more purees but less so now, usually he has cereal for breakfast, finger food for lunch, and mashed up whatever-we're-having for dinner.

For lunch he has baby veg (varies), toast or bagel, cheese or chicken. I could try the second course though. He does have water with meals but gets a bottle after if he asks for one.

Drooper Mon 19-Oct-09 19:46:52

He's doing great!

The only thing I'd tweak is to try a second course and see what happens and continue ecouraging finger foods.

Wouldn't worry smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now