Talk

Advanced search

breast milk to spare

(9 Posts)
esthermate Sun 18-Oct-09 23:49:47

Hi all, thought I would get your thoughts on this as you seem to be a bunch ofreally helpful mothers!

As my baby has never latched on, I made the decision to express my breastmilk for every feed. This was not an easy choice but I wanted her to have the best milk and so far it has ok- Time consuming but worth it.

It turns out I am a good milker as I am producing way too much milk when I express. I did start to freeze the excess but now my freezer is full, so I am now at the stage of throwing it away.

This seems a real waste. I looked into donating it to a milk bank, but as I live in Wales there are no milk banks here (which is dissapointing!).

It seems a real waste to just throw it away so I wondered if anyone had any advice on how I could put it to better use!

claudialyman Mon 19-Oct-09 00:15:42

cant help but good on you for the thought. sad that theres no milk banks in wales, not like theres no children who could benefit. good luck

moondog Mon 19-Oct-09 00:24:06

Where are you? Countess of Chester (Chester) collect from North Wales.

moondog Mon 19-Oct-09 00:24:49

Good for you for expressing. It's hard work.
One MNer made soap out of her spare milk!

esthermate Mon 19-Oct-09 00:35:37

soap= now thats interesting. Perhaps I could give it to my cat instead.

I live in south wales

ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 19-Oct-09 05:21:45

That's such a shame about the milk banks- I can't believe there are none in Wales! Are you chucking the freshly expressed stuff or the oldest frozen milk each time?

esthermate Mon 19-Oct-09 21:18:06

I'm currently chucking out the fresh stuff but will have to also start chucking out the frozen stuff too.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 19-Oct-09 21:21:05

Once you start weaning you can use it in your lo's food.

I'm in south wales too and was disappointed that I couldn't donate my spare ebm.

PacificWerewolfwoohood Mon 19-Oct-09 21:24:43

Could you not gradually start expressing less often/less long periods of time and thereby decrease your supply until it kind of matches your LO's demand?

envy at your problem, though..
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now