Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding is finished, feel really very sad. Probably need a slap!

(13 Posts)
rasputin Sun 18-Oct-09 22:02:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FlamingoBingo Sun 18-Oct-09 22:05:42

sad Try calling the NCT BFline - they're trained in using counselling skills and their job is to listen. Feelings about breastfeeding are very strong and complicated and big.

PacificWerewolfwoohood Sun 18-Oct-09 22:08:15

Aww, you poor thing! 'Tis natural to feel sad when it ends, whenever it ends, and you have done so well.
I did not particularly like BFing, but still felt a twinge of sadness when DS3 stopped at 13 months (with my encouragement as I had had enough), so can only imagine how much more upset you must be.
Are you sure Mirena is to blame though? I thought it is one of the methods of contraception suitable whilst BFing? Must go and read up on that...
Anyway, grieve the lost BFing relationship, then be proud for how long you have BF him, and finally rejoice in him growing up and becoming more independent.
smile

rasputin Sun 18-Oct-09 22:12:32

PacificWerewolfwoohood Sun 18-Oct-09 22:25:59

Nope, does not mimic pregnancy... Here is manufacturer's blurb. In other stuff it does mention breast pain and "anecdotal evidence" of decrease milk supply. Oh well, I stand corrected.
Anyway, if it is a good method of contracepion for you otherwise and you must have reliable contraception, it is worth the end of BFing, non? Sorry, nothing useful to add sad. Could your DH/partner go for the snip??
Hope you feel better about the whole thing soon, you do have so much to be proud of.
smile

rasputin Sun 18-Oct-09 22:32:00

Cadelaide Sun 18-Oct-09 22:37:58

rasputin, I sympathise wholeheartedly.

DC3 won't bf for much longer, I reckon, and I'm kind of dreading the end of it.

I've been doing it for years.

rasputin Sun 18-Oct-09 22:44:43

AnyFuleKno Sun 18-Oct-09 22:50:20

I can't offer any advice but I understand just how you feel, and there is no shame in feeling sad. It's been part of your identity for a long time after all.

Let's look at the positives now:
You can have nice bras
You can have a proper drink, if you want to
Your body is your own again
Still lots of nice cuddles to be had

You've done an amazing job breastfeeding your children and you should be really proud of yourself

AnyFuleKno Sun 18-Oct-09 22:51:18

I should have said, dd breastfed for 13 months before self weaning, which made me feel very very sad at the time.

Concordia Sun 18-Oct-09 22:53:08

oh rasputin that is terrible.
i agree that calling a helpline just to talk it through /blub may help.
actually i am really glad that you did post this ( although i wish it hadn't happened to you) as i was thinking re coil and doctor advising, but i am still bfing DD (14 mths - will also be our last) and don't want to stop yet. so thank you for sharing it.
its pants though, isn't it?

rasputin Sun 18-Oct-09 22:53:44

rasputin Sun 18-Oct-09 22:57:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now