Talk

Advanced search

NEED to stop bf 16 month old due to medication- any help appreciated

(5 Posts)
sagan Sun 18-Oct-09 13:58:29

I have fed ds for much longer than I expected and feel I have done well, but there is no other option really than to stop due some medication that I have to go on. I have researched this thoroughly and there really is no way I can stay bfing with these tablets, and I do need to take them. He still has 2 or 3 feeds a day, and still has a feed when he wakes up in the night (just once a night though). I don't have a partner so noone else can do the feeds. I have a feeling I will just have to go cold turkey, but I don't think that's really fair on ds At a loss what to do really

tiktok Sun 18-Oct-09 14:12:51

sagan - it is very, very unusual for meds to mean no breastfeeding, esp. with an older baby whose constitution is far less vulnerable.

If it's ok, what are the meds?

You say you have researched but it's possible there are ways to minimise impact, esp with infrequent feeds. You cld for instance time the dose of your meds.

sagan Sun 18-Oct-09 14:19:27

the med is Trazodone which is for anxiety. I definately need to be on it, and have done well on it for the last 3 weeks but the GP prescribing it told me I'd definately have to stop bf, but didn't offer any more guidance on how to do that. I am afraid to say I've carried on bfing blush but at the follow up I had on Friday he told me I really should stop while on these tablets. I take a dose of 150mgs at night after his last feed so it is a good 8 hours before his next feed, but they are strong tablets and I am pretty knocked out within about 10 minutes of taking them. The alternative is to go without the tablets, btu I really have not been well and these are makign me feel normal again.

KristinaM Sun 18-Oct-09 16:01:54

perhaps the breast feeeding network could help you? They will answer queries by email or phone

there may be another similar drug which would allow you to continue bf. which would reduce your anxiety as your baby would be happier and you woudln't be worried about trying to get him to wean. as you knwo, its easy to say " oh just wean him" but harder to do so, especially if you are both not ready

last thing you need is a dose of mastitis from trying to go cold turkey

my Gp wasn't very knowledgeable about bf but my local pharmacist was very sympathetic. when i had a similar situation to you, she phone the BFN, got info about another suitable drug and phoned the Gp to ask if that would do instead and it was fine smile

tiktok Sun 18-Oct-09 16:18:32

sagan - it is definitely worth doing some more questioning about the need to stop bf.

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT indicates this med is not a concern with a baby beyond newborn - you can share the ref with your doc and discuss it again, and also call the Breastfeeding Network and speak to the pharmacist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now