Talk

Advanced search

Come hold my hand through another nursing strike

(25 Posts)
WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Sun 18-Oct-09 11:30:35

Yes me again.
Ds (17mo) stopped feeding last Monday. Teeth again.
Had one feed on Wed but has pointblank refused since.

This is his 5th strike. Most of the previous ones have been 4-5 days, one lasted 19 days.

Am doing the usual stuff, it's just nice to know that there are some internet sprites supporting me as well.

PS Please don't post if you are going to say "well just give up". I need positive vibes only smile

PuzzleRocks Sun 18-Oct-09 15:25:45

I know the feeling. Every few weeks DD1 (2.6yrs) has me convinced she is self weaning.

[holds hand]

pipsy76 Sun 18-Oct-09 15:38:38

oh, if only i had known there was such a thing as nursing strike when I stopped feeding DS1 at 16 months, I cried!!

KristinaM Sun 18-Oct-09 15:46:35

i'm with pipsy. I wish i had known too.

Ds1 had a nursing strike when he was 16 months old and i was 6 months pg. i didn't know what it was - i thought he was self weaning so i didn't persevere. i feel really sad and a bit guilty that he stopped so young sad

I admire you for keeping going smile

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Sun 18-Oct-09 20:42:45

Thank you all smile

Still no feeding - although tonight he did have 3 aborted latches (started to latch then "remembered" he wasn't feeding so stopped) so a bit of progress hopefully.

This is the first strike since he has had any communication - so he will be looking at my boobs and shaking his head, or asking for milk "kkk" then crying sad.

Am really struggling to express much as well - have got out of practice I think as I stopped doing it daily once he hit 1. Hoping to just keep some supply going so there is something there to come back to.

The teeth are through now (both upper canines) so fingers crossed for tomorrow.

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Mon 19-Oct-09 20:27:16

We are now past the one week barrier sad

cats07 Mon 19-Oct-09 21:07:06

not sure if you've tried this, but when DS2 had a nursing strike at 9 months, I used to let him nod off for a nap for a few mins, then lift him and put him to the breast. He would take a long feed, then continue sleeping. It meant I wasn't in pain through engorgement, and it kept up supply (am the worlds worst expresser. 3 b/f DCs and you could count the number of expressed ounces on one hand. And I mean the total for all of them)

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Tue 20-Oct-09 08:26:57

Thanks cats.
There is no way I could lift him when he is asleep - he is a light sleeper (and very heavy!). He does sleep in a bed, I have tried sneaky feeds when he has just dropped off to sleep or first thing in the morning when he is just waking up - no luck.
Am getting about 3-4oz per day off (only expressing twice a day) - when I was expressing for him at nursery I would get 6oz in about 5min.
Am sure supply will sort itself out once he comes back - just hoping that that will be soon

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Wed 21-Oct-09 20:38:04

still going

cats07 Wed 21-Oct-09 21:50:58

hope tomorrow turns out better!

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Fri 23-Oct-09 09:05:24

it didn't
day 11 now
think he is going for the record

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Fri 23-Oct-09 20:09:06

Fuck
Just put him to bed
Doing the usual "lying nonchalantly with tits out" thing when he turned to me and latched on - then bit down really hard and pulled back.
Owwwww
Two big gouges in my nipple which is still bleeding.

give me strength

zebramummy Fri 23-Oct-09 20:17:16

la leche really helped me when ds went on a nursing strike at 11 months - they actually brough round printed info in person and reassured me by phone - main advice was loads of cuddles esp with skin to skin. it only happened the once though - could yours have esp painful teething?

zebramummy Fri 23-Oct-09 20:18:35

duh - sorry - just saw u said this in op!!! i say get hold of the ashton and parsons if you have not already tried it. frozen bananas are good to chew on too

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Sat 24-Oct-09 22:29:35

Matching gouge on the other side tonight
Not as bad as I was prepared for it this time.

My son has turned into a piranha.....

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Mon 26-Oct-09 20:49:26

2 weeks now

going to try and make it to the end of the week then decide what to do

cats07 Tue 27-Oct-09 18:06:27

ouch!! Poor you!! Any change?

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Tue 27-Oct-09 20:41:56

no sad
want to get past the 19 days which was his longest previous effort
losing the will now
but this is not how i wanted it to end

WUGYouLETMeBiteYourNeck Sat 31-Oct-09 10:49:32

and we have hit the 19 day mark
no change
arse
sad

alex7715 Sun 01-Nov-09 11:17:28

ahhh bles you how is it tiday any chnge yet have you sought any proffenal help xxxx

wuglet Sun 01-Nov-09 20:54:53

spoke to nct over phone - more for moral support really as they didn't have much to offer.
have been trying nipple shields for last couple of days - he thinks it is highly amusing when I feed his toys with it but won't follow suit
am going to give it to the end of next week I think

wuglet Tue 03-Nov-09 19:36:11

cautious

tonight he was shattered - didn't have his nap today.
He went to bed with a bottle of EBM, as he was falling asleep I did a crafty swap for the real thing.
He latched then sort of did a double take....then latched back and fed!
Was only for a couple of minutes as he fell asleep feeding.

Hoping it wasn't just because he was too tired to resist...but even if it was it has renewed my determination to keep going!

BeatrixRotter Tue 03-Nov-09 21:06:57

Shall keep my fingers crossed for you!

You were very helpful when my DD went on strike so tis the very least I can do.

wuglet Thu 05-Nov-09 20:08:31

Well it was a one off
Not fed since

Am not really offering much now - just lying next to him with my boobs out when he is going to sleep while he drinks his bottle.

The expressing isn't too much of a chore so will keep doing that so he can come back if he wants.

At least if this is it I now have a nice memory of his last feed.

wuglet Sun 08-Nov-09 20:39:02

Will be 4 weeks tomorrow
Off on hols so likely will be co-sleeping for a week

If he doesn't come back to it after that I think I will give in.

At least I can't say I didn't try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now