Talk

Advanced search

Is there a different chart for bre3astfed babies?

(6 Posts)
PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Sun 18-Oct-09 04:55:37

Best friend getting anxious over weight gain in 9 week old. She is gaining just slowly and is on 2nd centile. I mentioned something about which chart was HV using as I am sure I have heard of their being a different one for breastfed babies - is this right or have I imagined that? Friend had never heard this.

Thanks

lulalullabye Sun 18-Oct-09 05:29:40

yes, i think if you go on department of health website you might find it there.

Longtalljosie Sun 18-Oct-09 09:00:09

Here you are

tiktok Sun 18-Oct-09 10:21:34

Pumpkins....the newer chart will not help with a baby of 9 weeks. Breastfed babies gain very slightly more quickly than ff babies and the newer chart shows this. This will be of no consolation to someone worrying about a small, bf baby.

It is fine to be on the 2nd centile - of itself, no problem. But if the baby is not 'meant' to be on the 2nd centile and feeding is not going well, then she needs proper bf help to fix it.

Hope this helps

PumpkinsCantDanceTheTango Sun 18-Oct-09 10:56:16

Thanks everyone. Shes quite a long baby, very long legs and I really think shes going to be tall and skinny like her Dad!

Friend is just starting to feel like her milks not good enough, and I keep reassuring her that it is and that shes doing fab etc. But was hoping the chart would help - but not of it shows they gain quicker. Silly me I always thought it was the other way blush

Ive said to her that 2nd centile is fine because someone has to be there and as long as shes still gaining etc.

Cheers all

tiktok Sun 18-Oct-09 12:26:46

Pumpkins - bf babies start to grow more slowly after the first months....at first, they grow very slightly more quickly. It's a common misunderstanding!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now